Who’s going to work today?

bggc

Working as a team of two, 4 days this week.

I have a bottle of vanilla scented alcohol and tissues ready to wipe any surfaces such as the krab, pulley I send to the climber and my gloves (List is not exhaustive) 

The chipper and truck are my domain.

The climber has his own transport.

He climbs on srt so it takes a minute or less to ascend a tree so coming down to fill his own saw isn't an issue.

I sent up the Longboy after drenching it in alcohol.

The rope is a vector, not just for Covid-19 but typhoid, cholera, norovirus and toxoplasmosis but it's handled with gloves which are regularly drenched in alcohol.

Climber normally looks like a homeless guy in a harness but when I pointed out this virus has boosted his personal appearance and hygiene somewhat, he replied that he was back with his girlfriend.

Today he pushed the chipper twice, I wiped down those surfaces.

If this continues, I might even be tempted to polish the thing.

This morning, an elderly 'bourgeoisie' couple stopped on the footpath and had a go at the climber for working.

His reply was along the lines of "You have a fat retirement, I only have todays wage"

He's not lying, I'm his only employeur in this current situation and his van is trapped in a garage awaiting a new injector system.

Thursday and Friday for another local commune (council)

Police permission granted to work on the roadside.

I'm hoping to unscrew some new road signs and do a couple of cheeky fells.

Week after I'm hoping to get on with prioritising the jobs that might get cancelled or trimmed down if delayed longer. 

I'm keen not to lose a centime now because I see a future of austerity ahead.

Stuart

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, scraggs said:

No it isn't, today's figures look grim and I don't like to be a scare monger but without people doing what has been asked it will look scarily worse, anyone who tries to liken this to the flu doesn't understand anything about a "Novel Corona Virus" and should stay in for their own safety.
I take my hat off to anyone who stopped or shut down.
I am gutted this week to learn that of all the firms I spoke to on Tuesday morning that agreed they would shut down, there is only 2 of us that did, It's bloody depressing to know those tossers are out there carrying on and taking some of the work we should be doing, but then my family are far more important to me than anything else.

Keith, I've got a few quid, not a lot, but a few quid from the sale of our bungalow. People who haven't got that bit of tut would be fucked, and I mean fucked. It's alright for some of us to sit at home, what happens to the rest of 'um?

• Like 1

Just now, eggsarascal said:

Keith, I've got a few quid, not a lot, but a few quid from the sale of our bungalow. People who haven't got that bit of tut would be fucked, and I mean fucked. It's alright for some of us to sit at home, what happens to the rest of 'um?

I seriously dont understand how anyone who is self employed, and as such running a business does not have a money held back for emergencies? We're only 2 weeks into this yet it seems like folk are already on their knees. Whats their plan if they break a leg? Or anything that puts them outta work for 6-12 weeks? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I'm in the same position as you Spud in that I can eat into savings etc.  I don't qualify for any of the grants on offer or for Universal Credit etc.  The wife is a teacher so for all the shit that she usually faces on a day to day basis at least her wage is secure.

If I really had fuck all to fall back then I would hope that the state wouldn't let us starve.  But I've always made sure I've kept enough put by to tide us over for a bit regardless.

My guess would be that for those still working that aren't key workers, that option will be legally taken off them in the coming weeks.

What a bloody mess.

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

I seriously dont understand how anyone who is self employed, and as such running a business does not have a money held back for emergencies? We're only 2 weeks into this yet it seems like folk are already on their knees. Whats their plan if they break a leg? Or anything that puts them outta work for 6-12 weeks? 

I can't speak for anyone else, I earned good money Up to Christmas, which isn't unusual, after Christmas, January, Feburay were shit. Then Covid happened, we don't all earn a fortune week in week out, or should I say, I don't.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I can't speak for anyone else, I earned good money Up to Christmas, which isn't unusual, after Christmas, January, Feburay were shit. Then Covid happened, we don't all earn a fortune week in week out, or should I say, I don't.

Try self employment for those who never have then you will understand for yourself the ups and downs ? Eye opener guys or what ??

22 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Working as a team of two, 4 days this week.

I have a bottle of vanilla scented alcohol and tissues ready to wipe any surfaces such as the krab, pulley I send to the climber and my gloves (List is not exhaustive) 

The chipper and truck are my domain.

The climber has his own transport.

He climbs on srt so it takes a minute or less to ascend a tree so coming down to fill his own saw isn't an issue.

I sent up the Longboy after drenching it in alcohol.

The rope is a vector, not just for Covid-19 but typhoid, cholera, norovirus and toxoplasmosis but it's handled with gloves which are regularly drenched in alcohol.

Climber normally looks like a homeless guy in a harness but when I pointed out this virus has boosted his personal appearance and hygiene somewhat, he replied that he was back with his girlfriend.

Today he pushed the chipper twice, I wiped down those surfaces.

If this continues, I might even be tempted to polish the thing.

This morning, an elderly 'bourgeoisie' couple stopped on the footpath and had a go at the climber for working.

His reply was along the lines of "You have a fat retirement, I only have todays wage"

He's not lying, I'm his only employeur in this current situation and his van is trapped in a garage awaiting a new injector system.

Thursday and Friday for another local commune (council)

Police permission granted to work on the roadside.

I'm hoping to unscrew some new road signs and do a couple of cheeky fells.

Week after I'm hoping to get on with prioritising the jobs that might get cancelled or trimmed down if delayed longer. 

I'm keen not to lose a centime now because I see a future of austerity ahead.

Stuart

Stuart - out of interest how does the French government's financial package work for you over there (or not..)?