Who’s going to work today?

bggc

4 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I know ‘daily’ is a flawed basis for analysis. It should perhaps be pa or even longer and the consequence of needing it is also relevant. 

Slightly aside, I consider the rescue climber requirement to be a fairly dull consideration anyway (minor injury = self recover, major injury wait 5-10 minutes for rescue whilst bleeding out or self recover - get to ground by route alpha) but that’s for another day. 

I'd dare bet most of you lads have never gone up to get someone down, like you say, bleeding out you would get yourself down.

2 minutes ago, Kent Arboreal said:

I don’t know for sure but I reckon the risk of mortality from cutting your arm off whilst hanging 40ft in the air from a rope would be a touch higher than from a case of the covid ...

How many one armed tree surgeons do you know?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lemonsqueeza said:

Hello, I’m new here.

what are your thoughts on aerial rescue with the social distancing rules?

obviously I’d carry out an aerial rescue if needed but should we be climbing non emergency jobs at all....

Can we perform our job safely? 

No we can’t, simple as that.

The following is just to be pedantic but also thought provoking about cross contamination 

if the virus lives on surfaces between 24 to 72 hours you can’t send a saw up to the climber, or rigging kit or untie said rigging line for (potentially) 3 days after the climber has touched it tieing it on. For that matter you can’t clear up what the climber has cut n chucked as they have touched it.

the saws, tool box and door handles on the truck, the chipper controls, fuel can etc can only be touched by one person. 
arial rescue at 2m apart ?

gloves could help but once one person has a hole a glove or touched here face with the glove there offering little/no protection, is it worth the risk and Agro?

so unless you work alone or all come from the same house you can’t social distance properly in tree work

This wasn’t written as a rant but to get a watertight risk assessment for Covid19 could be hard going and without one are you leaving your self open to claims from employees/subbies for not keeping them safe? ?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Will C said:

No we can’t, simple as that.

The following is just to be pedantic but also thought provoking about cross contamination 

if the virus lives on surfaces between 24 to 72 hours you can’t send a saw up to the climber, or rigging kit or untie said rigging line for (potentially) 3 days after the climber has touched it tieing it on. For that matter you can’t clear up what the climber has cut n chucked as they have touched it.

the saws, tool box and door handles on the truck, the chipper controls, fuel can etc can only be touched by one person. 
arial rescue at 2m apart ?

gloves could help but once one person has a hole a glove or touched here face with the glove there offering little/no protection, is it worth the risk and Agro?

so unless you work alone or all come from the same house you can’t social distance properly in tree work

This wasn’t written as a rant but to get a watertight risk assessment for Covid19 could be hard going and without one are you leaving your self open to claims from employees/subbies for not keeping them safe? ?

Constantly making sure you’re staying 2m away from colleagues can get really tiring I find. Being mentally exhausted from the anxieties of this virus while having to concentrate up a tree is a recipe for disaster.

I had a flat out day today and it was almost impossible to feed the chipper/throw logs in the back of the van without breaking the 2m rule. We’re having to disinfect every tool after use.. jobs are going to take forever.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

All totally true Will, and absolutely no more dangerous than shopping, home delivered or not.

But the wife does the shopping ? seriously I think it has got to the point of

”don’t take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway” 

we can’t change it so just be careful and sensible. We’re not working with the tree work at the min

• Like 1