Jump to content
bggc

Who’s going to work today?

Recommended Posts

Of my many talents, foretelling the future isn’t quite as strong a suit as interpreting the present. 

 

I’d perhaps be inclined to agree, since our policy seems to be based upon what is happening in London - as for hereabouts, it is genuinely, spookily, hauntingly deserted..

 

Freaking me out a bit!

The missus was telling me the that supermarkets have implemented a new policy of one family member in the store only and no kids allowed with them. How thats gonna work for all the Single Mothers out there Im not sure? She had to enter the at the regular front entrance and leave out a side door.

 

Sitting on my balcony watching the world go by the Norgies here seem to be just cracking on. All the pleasure boats full of what I can only assume are family's out for a wee jolly as the fjords have been glassy smooth these last few days. 

 

Did a bit of fishing off the pier yesterday, along with a bunch of other folk. All keeping a distance, well, from me any way. 

 

So not quite the 28 days later Im hearing about back in the UK.

IMG_6958.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here in France.

 

It is, or seems to be, a deliberate policy of mixed messaging, keeping as many people at work at the same time as keeping as many people at home as possible.

 

To be fair these are unprecedented times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Ian C said:

I will try my best to never buy anything from the slants ever again !

We have been trying to do that for years.
I especially love my British made work boots, the quality is unbelievable.

Edited by scraggs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Aye, your attitude is. 

This isn't an attack on us from China. If anything, based on reports from there, they did a bloody good job of containing it as far as they have done. And if the UK had taken their advice we'd potentially be in a more favourable position now. 

Please don't turn this into an opportunity to incite hate. 

I heard they have reopened the animal market in a new site , same conditions ...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Which I worry is how so many medics are succumbing  to it, true a droplet can contain many viruses and falls to the floor quickly but the virology suggests a virus has a half life in air of 3 hours. What is unknown is what viral load entering the lungs will overcome normal defences.

Where is the science for it being airborne for 3 hours? If that was true I think we would all be in a far worse situation than we are now.

 

What I want to know is why on earth haven't they quarantined London yet? 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I heard they have reopened the animal market in a new site , same conditions ...

Doesn't surprise me. A neighbor used to work there, said the place, the food and the people were disgusting. I also watched "An idiot abroad" when Karl visited china so I'm a bit of an expert on these matters.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

Where is the science for it being airborne for 3 hours?

You misquoted me, I reported a half life in air.

A quote from this lady:

 

Dr. Angela Rasmussen (interview recorded March 15, 2020)

 

"Yeah, so a great pre-print just came out. I like to pitch my collaborators at Rocky
Mountain Labs, this is Neeltje van Doremalen who is with Vincent Munster at NIAI
Rocky Mountain Labs have just released a preprint with some of their colleagues, I
believe at Princeton, showing that SARS-coronavirus-2 and SARS classic have some
different properties as well as some similar properties for remaining infectious on
various surfaces. So they looked at experimentally generated aerosols, which for
SARS-coronaviruses is only an issue for the most part in hospital settings where
there are aerosol generating procedures, but they showed that for both of these,
the aerosol half-life is only about three hours. So that's good news in that you
know, if somebody that you love or care about is working in a hospital or an ICU or
is getting treated there, these aerosols are not going to persist for days at a time in
the environment. They also looked at survival of the virus on copper, stainless steel,
plastic and cardboard, and the virus lasts the longest on stainless steel and plastic.
So it lasts 48 to 72 hours, and it can potentially be there for longer than that, but
what's important to note is that there was a three-log reduction, so a thousand
times less virus that was infectious after 72 hours. So, even though you can detect
infectious virus on surfaces, plastic or stainless steel surfaces after three days, it's a
greatly reduced amount of virus. Compared to SARS classic, SARS-coronavirus-2
lasted longer on cardboard, however it didn't last longer than 24 hours. So before
everybody gets worried about getting packages in the mail or opening letters or
calling, ordering stuff from Amazon it, it also was essentially undetectable after 24
hours. So cardboard is probably not a surface that's going to retain the virus for, for
days and days at a time. What we don't know is the effect that temperature and
humidity and other environmental conditions would have on this "

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

You misquoted me, I reported a half life in air.

A quote from this lady:

 

Dr. Angela Rasmussen (interview recorded March 15, 2020)

 

"Yeah, so a great pre-print just came out. I like to pitch my collaborators at Rocky
Mountain Labs, this is Neeltje van Doremalen who is with Vincent Munster at NIAI
Rocky Mountain Labs have just released a preprint with some of their colleagues, I
believe at Princeton, showing that SARS-coronavirus-2 and SARS classic have some
different properties as well as some similar properties for remaining infectious on
various surfaces. So they looked at experimentally generated aerosols, which for
SARS-coronaviruses is only an issue for the most part in hospital settings where
there are aerosol generating procedures, but they showed that for both of these,
the aerosol half-life is only about three hours. So that's good news in that you
know, if somebody that you love or care about is working in a hospital or an ICU or
is getting treated there, these aerosols are not going to persist for days at a time in
the environment. They also looked at survival of the virus on copper, stainless steel,
plastic and cardboard, and the virus lasts the longest on stainless steel and plastic.
So it lasts 48 to 72 hours, and it can potentially be there for longer than that, but
what's important to note is that there was a three-log reduction, so a thousand
times less virus that was infectious after 72 hours. So, even though you can detect
infectious virus on surfaces, plastic or stainless steel surfaces after three days, it's a
greatly reduced amount of virus. Compared to SARS classic, SARS-coronavirus-2
lasted longer on cardboard, however it didn't last longer than 24 hours. So before
everybody gets worried about getting packages in the mail or opening letters or
calling, ordering stuff from Amazon it, it also was essentially undetectable after 24
hours. So cardboard is probably not a surface that's going to retain the virus for, for
days and days at a time. What we don't know is the effect that temperature and
humidity and other environmental conditions would have on this "

 

Well that’s cleared that up then🤓

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.