bggc

Who’s going to work today?

7 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

More leadership Boris style.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Number of people in UK who died with coronavirus jumps by more...

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Opposition parties accuse No 10 of putting "Brexit over breathing" by...

Get breathing done.

I thought we've been asked to keep politics out of it? 

• Like 1

Been thinking today,, how is going to want us after all this stops, tree work is not essential to a lot of gardens if money is tight and it's going to be extra tight.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, woody paul said:

Been thinking today,, how is going to want us after all this stops, tree work is not essential to a lot of gardens if money is tight and it's going to be extra tight.

For sure- for me I think the long term implications of all this is probably more concerning than the virus itself . Severe economic global depression I reckon with far reaching consequences, It’d be nice to think that there will be a reduction in  globalisation and countries could aim to become more self sufficient and content with what we have here rather than all this ridiculous travelling all over the place, everyday foods in supermarkets coming half way round the world etc...

• Like 7

Well I came home yesterday on sick. I work for the NHS on maintenance, beginning of week felt crap, Tuesday night, got no sleep at all, banging headache and a head cold, couldn't breath blocked nose etc, went into work Wednesday morning, explained to boss, told him what I had, and that I didn't want to pass in on to anyone else so I was going home. He wasn't happy at all, but with what's happening at the moment, didn't want to risk it. Will go back in Monday. Have heard the other lads have been told to expect to move dead bodies at some stage, strange times.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 24/03/2020 at 15:48, Puffingbilly413 said:

I fully get the idea of continuing to work if you can do whilst remaining isolated (milling, firewood, all of that).

But, as unlikely as it may be, the very fact that you are leaving the house presents a risk.  Say you break down on the way, injure yourself at work and need an ambulance or hospital admission etc etc?  That places an extra strain on the NHS and other services at a time when they simply can't afford to have it.

I'm staying in for the duration - other than the minimal once a day walk that the rules say we can take.  And even that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable for doing it.

Today I arranged a payment break for my yard rent (I'm lucky to be in that position), and have cancelled my insurance and SORNed the landy.  If there's no work coming in, which there most definitely is not, then there is no point having these fixed running costs.  The bank promised to look into an overdraft but has now gone on radio silence and it looks like I won't qualify for any of the grants available for small businesses.

When this blows over I'll look to start up again.  Till then it's hunker down and make ends meet.

Good luck to you all

Ed

Just to update my earlier post.  I have now mothballed my firm.  It owes me about 37k of start up money that I put into it as the director (it's a Limited Company).  I will start up again when I can.  I would just like to ask Gardenscape why you deem that funny?

Edited by Puffingbilly413
Shit typos
  • Sad 1

Same here got no choice but luckily I have no family to feed as live on my own but that brings its own issues but am old school and fortunately I have jobs I can do on my own with no contact with anybody else...it is stupid when you think about it,keeping your distance from everyone yet when you go to the garage to get your fuel you inevitably buy something else and your either giving money over or your within 2m of the person serving..o well crack on as i’am still in the dark about getting any help but the upshot is if  I air anybody else are able to it won’t be till June and will be taxed on it anyway.just thank feck it’s still not raining....every cloud and all that.

• Like 3