Who’s going to work today?

bggc

For many people in forestry and agriculture, the brutally wet winter has cost them a fortune, and the first chance at getting out and trying to make amends, the country shuts down with covid 19. 

It's hard to pinpoint exactly, but I'm sure that the ground conditions cost us about £20k off our bottom line compared to a normal winter. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Its caught a lot of us with our pants down-. :( Having not worked since December due to surgery Ive eaten through 3 months worth of saving thinking at the other end I'll be right back to it bringing  home the bacon. Well this Covids but a huge dent in that idea.  

I haven't worked much since December, I'm now tucking into my house money. All we can do is get our heads down for the time being, it's shit, but it is what it is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, eggsarascal said:

I haven't worked much since December, I'm now tucking into my house money. All we can do is get our heads down for the time being, it's shit, but it is what it is.

It really is. SE, PAYE, we're all screwed really. 

Im selling off junk left right and centre to keep my head above water. Its amazing what crap you accumulate, but its more amazing how much less it sells for than you bought it, even second hand ( I rarely buy new). :D And amazing how fast it vanishes . Some might think being PAYE its ok for them, well its just as shit. For many PAYE its not massively different than being SE.  You become your own brand, you are only as good as your last job, which I fucked up both of, the very last put me in the official $1,000,000 club. Yes, my fuck up cost well in excess of a million dollars. :D To then go off on the sick with surgery was terrible timing. Nearly 4 months later Im trying to get back in the game and Ive been given a job that means I'll be sucking a dummy the whole time. Pulling an Old Well and getting covered head to toe in Crude and other shit for 12-16 hours a day. Full PPE and if there is H2S then its 10x worse. LSA and we'll look like WW1 Divers. :D 

I do my own Tax return here and in Norway. Like others Im shite at both. Im in the grey zone between SE and PAYE but without the perks of either. 

But some have said I should keep my mouth shut, maybe I should. But fuck them. :D Not my style. ;) 

7 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

It really is. SE, PAYE, we're all screwed really. 

Im selling off junk left right and centre to keep my head above water. Its amazing what crap you accumulate, but its more amazing how much less it sells for than you bought it, even second hand ( I rarely buy new). :D And amazing how fast it vanishes . Some might think being PAYE its ok for them, well its just as shit. For many PAYE its not massively different than being SE.  You become your own brand, you are only as good as your last job, which I fucked up both of, the very last put me in the official $1,000,000 club. Yes, my fuck up cost well in excess of a million dollars. :D To then go off on the sick with surgery was terrible timing. Nearly 4 months later Im trying to get back in the game and Ive been given a job that means I'll be sucking a dummy the whole time. Pulling an Old Well and getting covered head to toe in Crude and other shit for 12-16 hours a day. Full PPE and if there is H2S then its 10x worse. LSA and we'll look like WW1 Divers. :D 

I do my own Tax return here and in Norway. Like others Im shite at both. Im in the grey zone between SE and PAYE but without the perks of either. 

But some have said I should keep my mouth shut, maybe I should. But fuck them. :D Not my style. ;) 

I've just been ranting to a life long friend on the phone about the situation, he told me to shut the feck up, Egg (good mates) and I will, but it's not the easiest thing to do for me.

Not being able to get out there for a few quid is frustrating to say the least.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I've just been ranting to a life long friend on the phone about the situation, he told me to shut the feck up, Egg (good mates) and I will, but it's not the easiest thing to do for me.

Not being able to get out there for a few quid is frustrating to say the least.

It sure is frustrating. But if we cant moan here where can we? :D 

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

It sure is frustrating. But if we cant moan here where can we? :D 

To ya mates, but when he tells you to shut the feck up, you cnut, we know things are serious. 

I can normaly nick a few quid from somewhere... not these days.

• Haha 1

In some ways it’s similar to the financial crisis of 2008/9.

I was exposed in terms of financial commitments to various government agencies.

I/we got through it, biggest error I made was being too timid when the tide turned a while later.

I was emotionally scarred by it I guess, too many sleepless nights.

Should have been bolder.

Hindsight is always 20/20 I suppose.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

To ya mates, but when he tells you to shut the feck up, you cnut, we know things are serious. 

I can normaly nick a few quid from somewhere... not these days.

Well thats true. There is always someone we can rant with. :) 

I dont wanna know about the second bit. The less I know the better.