Who’s going to work today?

bggc

3 minutes ago, Khriss said:

I remember as a kid seeing haulage firm called "Moody Bros " round Yorkshire an thinking wouldn't want to be friends with them ! Bedford TK and ERF wagons. K

Hi Khriss, Different firm. Jack Moody Group has their head office in Cannock Birmingham. For truckers we run MAN lorries and also a new Scania. Jack Moody started the business over 50 years ago and now boasts the largest Garden centre in the midlands. Check out the website for Hollybush Garden centre and also Jack Moody group to see our profile. - Thanks

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JACK MOODY GROUP said:

Hi Khriss, Different firm. Jack Moody Group has their head office in Cannock Birmingham. For truckers we run MAN lorries and also a new Scania. Jack Moody started the business over 50 years ago and now boasts the largest Garden centre in the midlands. Check out the website for Hollybush Garden centre and also Jack Moody group to see our profile. - Thanks

it was a long time ago as ref : ERF's n TKs. Yard was in Goole n Selby. Don't get up to North much. K

18 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I seriously dont understand how anyone who is self employed, and as such running a business does not have a money held back for emergencies? We're only 2 weeks into this yet it seems like folk are already on their knees. Whats their plan if they break a leg? Or anything that puts them outta work for 6-12 weeks? 

I have private health insurance and loss of earnings insurance to cover my back in case of an accident. Costs a bit but it's a no brainer to have a back up plan if you're doing silly things up trees for a living. I've not checked yet, however I highly doubt the loss of earnings policy covers a global pandemic. 

So even those who've been paying for policies may well find they're not worth a great deal right now...

• Like 2

Just now, Mr. Squirrel said:

I have private health insurance and loss of earnings insurance to cover my back in case of an accident. Costs a bit but it's a no brainer to have a back up plan if you're doing silly things up trees for a living. I've not checked yet, however I highly doubt the loss of earnings policy covers a global pandemic. 

So even those who've been paying for policies may well find they're not worth a great deal right now...

I get that. :) All my family and friends who are  self employed have 3 months held back for emergencies. Any expansion of their businesses can only go ahead when they have the funds to do so, without dipping into that cash.  If they do have to dip in its the first thing that gets topped back up with. To them its basic business acumen. But what would I know, eh? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I get that. :) All my family and friends who are  self employed have 3 months held back for emergencies. Any expansion of their businesses can only go ahead when they have the funds to do so, without dipping into that cash.  If they do have to dip in its the first thing that gets topped back up with. To them its basic business acumen. But what would I know, eh? 

You are most fortunate to have such a wise family and to have such wise friends.

• Like 1

I reckon many SE people have periods when there’s plenty in the bank, then other periods when there’s a little less fat on the bone.

This can be due to an unexpected expense, daughter getting married, bad payers, paying down a loan or any number of reasons.

It’s a bit like musical chairs, but instead of the music stopping, the world did.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I reckon many SE people have periods when there’s plenty in the bank, then other periods when there’s a little less fat on the bone.

This can be due to an unexpected expense, daughter getting married, bad payers, paying down a loan or any number of reasons.

It’s a bit like musical chairs, but instead of the music stopping, the world did.

Its caught a lot of us with our pants down-. :( Having not worked since December due to surgery Ive eaten through 3 months worth of saving thinking at the other end I'll be right back to it bringing  home the bacon. Well this Covids but a huge dent in that idea.  

• Like 1