Who’s going to work today?

bggc

2 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

I'm self employed, my wife is too.
We rent.
We don't have savings.
Wife worked as childcare for two doctors looking after 2 young babies and 2 children at the same time.
Her list of constantly refreshed quals is ridiculous.
Gets £9 an hour.
20 hours ish a week.
I've been building a business from literally nothing.
Invested everything I could afford and more.

Yesterday I tried to sign on universal credit.
Yeah it's that bad.
But they presume everyone is an employee and want month by month earnings for last 18 months.
Fir self employed grant need 3 years books.
I'm really bad at tax returns.
I declare everything.
So I actually earn very little on paper and in reality.

However from what I understand, it's still possible to continue a business whilst on UC.
Got a feeling we won't be getting any support from the government.
So I'm actively looking for any tree work still.
And yes it is depressing as fuck.

I'm genuinely sorry to read this.  We need to keep lobbying our elected representatives so that they more fully understand our circumstances.  I know up here (Scotland) there are lots of jobs being advertised in the delivery and agri sectors.  Might be worth a look until tree work becomes viable again?  I also saw that forestry and other related aspects of the industry that provide for fuel wood and pallets can continue as the need for this is deemed too critical to stop.

4 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

We rent.
We don't have savings.
Wife worked as childcare for two doctors looking after 2 young babies and 2 children at the same time.
Gets £9 an hour.
20 hours ish a week.

Yeah it's that bad.
But they presume everyone is an employee and want month by month earnings for last 18 months.
I declare everything.

However from what I understand, it's still possible to continue a business whilst on UC.

It's a shitter Roughy, but what can we do?  If I can nick a few hundred quid a month I'll  be happy. Chin up old boy

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

We rent.
We don't have savings.
Gets £9 an hour.
20 hours ish a week.

Yeah it's that bad.
I declare everything.

Hi Saul,

Not trying to cheeky have you considered fruit/crop picking till things pick up? I'm pondering it myself so I know that they're recruiting now (lettuce near Ely starts this week). Work from April to October. We should've been starting our summer festival marquee jobs soon, all cancelled, was going to do some tree planting called off as not essential all accommodation shut for the lockdown.

Cheers Ernie.

4 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

What’s your issue fella? And is this question  only directed at me or to everyone else on here still working and trying to keep there head above water..I don’t need to answer to you.

It was directed at you only - that's why I quoted you.  Others on here when explaining their need to continue to work do so with a sense of humility and a wish that they had a different option.  I'm afraid you come across as not giving a stuff or directly confrontational when people explain how and why they're not working.

14 minutes ago, woodwizzard said:

I'm carrying on best I can. Only doing jobs in the middle of nowhere and having no contact with anyone. Just what is "their" definition of essential work? It's essential to me, so I will work!

I do get that. But surely everyone’s work is essential if you look at it like that? 

I'm carrying on best I can. Only doing jobs in the middle of nowhere and having no contact with anyone. Just what is "their" definition of essential work? It's essential to me, so I will work!
The word essential was removed from the headline guidance on gov.uk, I believe because it causes this confusion.

It never did mean essential work, it was essential travel because you can't work from home. The guidance is that we should work if we're not in a business that is required to close.

"With the exception of the organisations covered above in the section on closing certain businesses and venues, the government has not required any other businesses to close – indeed it is important for business to carry on."

I think it's going to be months, not a question of staying in for a few weeks until it passes by and then everything is ok.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

It was directed at you only - that's why I quoted you.  Others on here when explaining their need to continue to work do so with a sense of humility and a wish that they had a different option.  I'm afraid you come across as not giving a stuff or directly confrontational when people explain how and why they're not working.

I do not get involves normally in other peoples spats but why dont you just keep your opinions to your self Puffingbilly413  . Who the hell are you to tell people if thy are right or wrong to go to work in these difficult times. 80 posts in 5 years, really are one who sits on the fence for sure  ?

• Like 4