Who’s going to work today?

bggc

9 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Ah, I know the one, always under fire for being too chummy with the Tories.

Can’t win can she? 

Yip Tory voters claim the BBC is left wing, Labour and Pinko Commies claim its a right wing mouth piece. The reality is the BBC is cancer and should be made to stand on its own two feet. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Put him on ignore if it affects your sensibilities? 

NO, that sort of language should be deleted. This is a public forum and there are more imaginative and less offensive less crude ways of expressing opinions. If that sort of language is not controlled and censured then there's no end to it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

Well, I expect the government to show leadership, provide clear unambiguous advice, take decisive timely action, do what must be done to protect the lives and livlihoods of people in the UK. But I suspect it's already too late.

Yes, the governments advice does seem to be somewhat lackadaisical. Its a balancing act of not coming across as draconian and on the other hand expecting the population to act like responsible adults. When that clearly failed to work they had to start treating us like children.

Which countries policies would you have the government emulate? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

Well, I expect the government to show leadership, provide clear unambiguous advice, take decisive timely action, do what must be done to protect the lives and livlihoods of people in the UK. But I suspect it's already too late.

Edward,

I too was more than a little dismayed at the ill-preparedness of the 3 people on the Government panel of yesterday evening, when in riposte to Ms. Laura Kuenssberg's provocative statement that the Government had caused needless deaths by delaying the lockdown, (and she made a long statement instead of asking a short question)they should simply have stated back, that since there was clear evidence that a significent number of the public were ignoring the advice,

and still doing so post the Lockdown-down conditions,

what more can the Government do?

And if the Government had attempted to introduce a complete lockdown of travel etc, early days, when it would have been most effective, they would have been the usual accusations of Fascism.

I very very rarely use the "c" word, but felt it justified in these particular circumstances.

mth

• Like 4

What more can the Government do?

Could of done  lockdown a week earlier same as every other place in EU apart from UK, instead of the talk about herd immunity which made some people people think there were doing there duty but going out spreading it. (This strat was then modelled as taking 2 yrs to acheive and leading to over 1/2 million deaths by first yr, by imperial college: after that came out goverment changed their policy)

Could of closed  caravan parks  as that would have stopped 100,000's of people  travelling  around the country. (Other countries like Italy had the exact same  issues but UK gov didn't learn from that)

Advise could be less vague and confused about what essentail work is etc who lockdown covers. They edited the bullet points from 1hr to the next relaxing the lockdown.

Could have better support for Self employeed e.g  a small basic universal payment just to cover food.

Could try and enforce lock down better disperse crowds etc.