Who’s going to work today?

bggc

2 hours ago, woody paul said:

There's no way some work can't be stopped at 20.30 at the order of government.

For instance ;

Like if you ripped a fence down on yesterday to go back today and put up new one especially if farmer wants to put there stock out in a weeks time.

There's got to be other work like that.

I guess so but a lot of stuff like trimming hedges and cosmetic maintenance can hold off for a few weeks. In a months time it might be a different story when finances start to bite and at that point we'll need to know where we stand  as self-employed. You can't live off nothing! For the time being I'm going to do the same as others - stop work and fix all those jobs at home that need sorting (assuming I can get hold of materials).

i've stopped work myself due to the fact i have a mother in the 70+ bracket who has Diabetes meaning she is at greater risk and the wankers at the joinery where i rent space do jack shit so far as sanitation goes so i'm staying away.

i've little work and no money.

guess i'd better look into what the government is doing to actually help self employed people...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stere said:

With everyone off work  and home there gonna be a rush on shopping for materials for DIY projects: unintended cosequences not good if scewfix and B&Q etc if rammed full with people etc ?

Order click and collect from the screwfix and put a space suit on to collect ?

I fully get the idea of continuing to work if you can do whilst remaining isolated (milling, firewood, all of that).

But, as unlikely as it may be, the very fact that you are leaving the house presents a risk.  Say you break down on the way, injure yourself at work and need an ambulance or hospital admission etc etc?  That places an extra strain on the NHS and other services at a time when they simply can't afford to have it.

I'm staying in for the duration - other than the minimal once a day walk that the rules say we can take.  And even that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable for doing it.

Today I arranged a payment break for my yard rent (I'm lucky to be in that position), and have cancelled my insurance and SORNed the landy.  If there's no work coming in, which there most definitely is not, then there is no point having these fixed running costs.  The bank promised to look into an overdraft but has now gone on radio silence and it looks like I won't qualify for any of the grants available for small businesses.

When this blows over I'll look to start up again.  Till then it's hunker down and make ends meet.

Good luck to you all

Ed

• Like 5
  • Haha 1