Max £1k on wood burning stove - advice please?

Hi there,

Newbie here. My wife and I are in the process of buying a house (what a time to be half way through!!). We have been able to negotiate a fireplace being added to the living room. Due to the building already being started for someone else, who dropped out, we will only be able to have a fireplace with an external flue fitted to the side of the house (not 'full' chimney).

We don't really know where to start next though - we have seen multi fuel log burners, purely wood burners, vastly different prices, etc, please can anyone give me a few tips on what to look for if £1,000 is our maximum budget, and, of course, what to look out for?

Thanks, all.

Realistically you’ll need to double your budget and more maybe if your wanting a branded stove (would defo recommend going with a well known brand not a ebay special or the likes) your cost alone in an external flue will be several hundreds (£500-£700 at a guess with brackets and fittings) decent stove will £800-£1000 depending on size maybe?! Then the cost to install it, and a cost to build a fireplace if needed also??? Lots of variables, but defo wont achieve it with £1000 limit. Hope this helps ?‍♂️ just get someone in for a quote, quotes are usually free.

• Like 1

If you look back through some old threads, (i’m not that tech savvy so wouldnt know how to tell ya) theres plenty ideas and stuff on here, brands etc will probably simply boil down to your taste in appearance. £1000 should buy you a stove though no problem.

• Like 1

Mine is multifuel, but again it might be dictated with what style you want / look at. Are you wanting to burn coal overnight to keep your fire in or are you just going to be a daytime / evening burner like myself? Best thing to do is go and have a look in the flesh and talk to people about them.

Depends on what you want... looks, build quality or combination. We went for a DRU-44 multifuel when we had our lounge done in 2012 and it’s been pretty good but isn’t without a couple of niggles either.

The good bits: it’s rated at 4.9kW output (so no need for a separate air vent) but allegedly throws out up to 7kW maximum. It’s also multi-fuel and manufacturer approved for 24 hour running, which has come in useful when our oil-fired central heating has had a problem (invariably when the weather is cold!!) meaning that we have switched over from wood to smokeless fuel and run the stove constantly for days at a time.

Niggles - design of the over-fire air inlet could be better. It’s controllable but would be much better as a screw system instead of the push-action (you’ll get my meaning if you see one in the flesh) and has a bit of a background noise when the stove is drawing lots of air.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

1000 should get you a nice stove,  but you need to allow for the flue parts needed to install it and the actual installation and safety sign off ( a legal requirement) costs.   These will vary from area to area.

Assuming thats done then look at stoves that are actually made in the UK or Western Europe.   A lot of Uk names are selling stoves made in China or eastern Europe and others are assembling stoves in the UK from parts made in these countries and are legally allowed to call them made in England.

So for 1000 for a 5kw nominal heat output freestanding stove ( suits a 5m square room given average insulation values)  I would recommend,

Arada Ecoburn 5,  made from scratch in Axminster Devon since the 1960s.  Lifetime casing warranty

Charnwood,   Country 4, C4, C5 or Aire,  latter two are a shade over budget though,  made from scratch on the Isle of White since 1972,  10 year casing warranty providing bought from your local approved dealer who registers the warranty.  1 year warranty otherwise.

Morso,   04, Swift 1000, S11-42, also look at Badger 3112 or 3116  ( 1100 ish)     Made in Denmark since 1853,  10 year casing warranty on most models , 5 years on others.  

Esse.    Number 1,  500, 525,  made from scratch in Lancashire since 1854,  10 year casing warranty,

Go for a well known brand, sooner or later you will need parts for it,  many times I have been asked for parts fro cheap imported stoves and in almost all cases these are simply not available.

A