Will we Be Getting Any Help??????????

5 shires

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I have no issues with the Lad, I can see he's got himself all wound up and upset at the current situation, but his scaremongering does need fact checked. :) 

Thankfully a real doctor stepped in and put him straight and he started to behave himself again, well almost. 

Some people struggle to deal with this kind of change, sometimes they need protecting from themselves. Im sure he'll pull through. :) 

2 hours ago, Mesterh said:

You just can't shut up can you, the op wants to get the thread back on track so leave this for another thread hey. I know posting this is a contradiction so maybe mr bullman can delete all the nonsense and useless posts in this thread.

Thank both of you for your understanding and calling it a day on the issue you have..I wish like many knew what was going on but getting back to the fact I really don’t know how the government can help apart from giving us the basic £90 odd and may be helping out with VAT but there is a lot out us self employed who are not  VAT registered so that’s not going to help.

Edited by 5 shires

1 minute ago, 5 shires said:

Thank both of you for your understanding and calling it a day on the issue you have..I wish like many knew what was going on but getting back to the fact I really don’t know how the government can help apert from giving us the basic £90 odd and may be helping out with VAT but there is a lot out us self employed who are not  VAT registered so that’s not going to help.

The thing is most folk go self employed for the financial benefits that come with working for yourself. Very little, if any actual tax is paid, a lot of the time, not all of the time obviously. When you can claim back for your vehicle, washing your clothes, the washing machine, tools etc etc. So much can be written off as Im sure you're aware. I can see the government thinking, well, they've not paid a huge amount in tax so they can fend for themselves. Not saying thats right but I can see that line of reasoning, if in fact that's happening at all. 

I'll have a go, if I've got it miles wrong, shoot me down.

Most of the bigger SE (with staff) will be able to claim the loans and grants already available, that's them sorted?

So, it's down to the one man bands: take an average of each trade, your average tree surgeon earns £xxx

Your average joiner earns £xxx

and so on, work out an average for each trade and pay them a percentage of that average.

14 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

The thing is most folk go self employed for the financial benefits that come with working for yourself. Very little, if any actual tax is paid, a lot of the time, not all of the time obviously. When you can claim back for your vehicle, washing your clothes, the washing machine, tools etc etc. So much can be written off as Im sure you're aware. I can see the government thinking, well, they've not paid a huge amount in tax so they can fend for themselves. Not saying thats right but I can see that line of reasoning, if in fact that's happening at all. 

Yes and I totally agree with everything you pointed out but as many on have  jobs which have been booked in are starting to get cancelled or at the very best postponed until whenever.

some of us have some saving but that won’t last long i was thinking more of the guys who have Chippers and trucks and machinery on finance and bank loans,public liability and employment insurance and will still have to find the monthly payments for all that unless they have insurance to cover it.??????

Edited by 5 shires

1 minute ago, 5 shires said:

i was thinking more of the guys who have Chippers and trucks and machinery on finance and bank loans,public liability and employment insurance and will still have to find the monthly payments for all that unless they have insurance to cover it.??????

Surely its worth giving the lenders a call and asking for repayment holiday? It would be in the lenders best interest after all, as the other option would be to go bust and they get nothing. 

Surely its worth giving the lenders a call and asking for repayment holiday? It would be in the lenders best interest after all, as the other option would be to go bust and they get nothing. 

In the SE world, it works like this:

Yard rent: corona virus? Don't care pay the rent.
Machinery: still need a payment on time each month mate
Insurance? I'll find out tomorrow
Private house rent: tbc...?
Bills : pay up
And as for the prospect of lone working with a chainsaw...
SSP? £90 a week fir two weeks,IF you get the virus.
Or sign on!!!
£300 odd a month.
Bit worried mate, got a family to feed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Rough Hewn said:

Or sign on!!!
£300 odd a month.

Is it mainly private stuff you do ?? Cash 

Is it mainly private stuff you do ?? Cash 

No mate all invoiced, bacs transferred.
Small commercial contracts and milling.
Rarely see a back garden now.
And I get flack fir wanting to give an invoice and get a bank transfer.
Cash is a liability.
Especially if you're running a legit firm.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Or sign on!!!
£300 odd a month.

Its a tough one for sure. A lot to be said for being a PAYE now. 

A lot on that list would be getting told where they can stick it to be fair. Need to keep money back for food for your family. 

• Like 2