Drilling Cannon Super Bar

gonger

Going to post some pics when i am in my workshop.

Yeah it was designed for clamping. But this takes just too much time for chain changing. 
I stopped the time and were by 5 minutes for my 107cm GB bar.

In my opinion the time wich i spend at the milling place is really valuable. 
My goal is to slab one whole tree , load it up to the trailer and store it in my workshop 1. Floor in just a day.

Don't drill the bar.
Just clamp it.
If you want a faster professional mill setup get a horizon panther mill.
And learn how to sharpen the chain whilst on the mill.
I only use one chain in a day milling unless I destroy it hitting inclusions.
[emoji106]

The panther mill in my opinion just has 2 advantages.

1. Easy height adjustment. ( Doesnt matter to me, since i have my Jigs for various thicknesses)

2. Sturtier profiles (30mm works just fine with 107cm, if it should be sag on the 150cm i am going to use 60mm)

That dont justifies the big costs on it. But if would definetively buy it, if i just would start from new.

Why should i sharpen in the field, when i can change the chain in 5 min? In my Workshop i have a MAXX Chainsaw grinder, wich is going to do the work afterwards.

@Daniël Bos

Dont want to drill there. I think than the underside of the Mill is going to interfere with the chain. Also i think, that this is going to increse the sagging of the bar, when milling.

@Rough Hewn

As wanted, there are some pictures of my mill:

IMG_20200322_201317.thumb.jpg.cb366a1244b18468fe25f9b157e552ea.jpg

IMG_20200322_201331.thumb.jpg.479361e640546a58f2543cf396a6c9ea.jpg

IMG_20200322_201341.thumb.jpg.3042e182e5e6c36121f695e2c36991fe.jpg

IMG_20200322_201837.thumb.jpg.033aad748aa49d57ba3222d3fdc3664c.jpg

So you would definitively drill on the #3?

Would it also be an option to drill in the small rivet, on the right side of #1?

Edited by gonger

2 hours ago, gonger said:

So you would definitively drill on the #3?

Don't see a problem with drilling where you have on 3rd / 4th picture, ok so your loosing a few inches of capacity but with all Alaskan type jigs you have the same dilemma ....to clamp through the sprocket is no doubt possible but would probably require to be a bit more of an engineered solution than just a bolt, and as said the rivets aren't designed for that direction of stress and could be a weak point, but possibly not.....you'd have to try it to find out.

I also sharpen in place but I get your point about just being able to swap chains.?