Freelancer pay?

benedmonds

29 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Do people pay different rates or overtime to freelancers depending on how long they work or excpect a day rate to be a day if that is 8.00 to 4.30 or 8.00 till 5.30?

I pay a flat day-rate to subbies based on 7.30 - 4.30 but let them go early when the job is done (most days). I expect the odd long day in return (rare). Longer planned days (if working a long way from base for example) I tend to offer extra money (£20ish) but agreed in advance. The odd job that overruns is still paid at normal day-rate. 

• Like 3

Flat day rate on the work I do, I would rather work hard and be able to go a bit early if job gets done, occasional over-runs are the flip side of the coin to me and as long as not too often then fair enough.

I think it comes down to making an arrangement that you are both happy with before you start, no answer that is going to fit everyone. Personal circumstances, travel, etc etc too many variables.

• Like 1

Being a freelance climber I charge a flat day rate. There’s days when I’m finished at lunch time and there’s days I’m finished nearer dinner time. It kinda balances out. I tend to work for a small circle of guys where look after each other anyway!

• Like 1