New (covid 19) year's resolutions?

Big J

3 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Gardening and growing more of our veg. Dad always took great pleasure in growing his own veg and I hope to find that same pleasure. Not to mention with the way the everyone is stockpiling some home grow food may be a bit more than just a cathartic exercise! 

Exactly my plan too. I have a greenhouse being delivered in 10 days so looking forwards to putting that up and spending time growing stuff- il be largely looking after my daughter (4) too so hopefully it’s something I can engage her in too.

other than that, I never play the guitar as much I used too so will hopefully do that a bit more,  i have a number of jobs I can do that are completely self isolated on the moors etc. But as with others I expect work to drop of over the next few months. 

• Like 1

Depending how long Im stuck in Norway but I plan on using my time here to read and study my Timber Framing books and buy the odd tool on ebay

Once Im home I'll mill up my logs and make a start on a Timber Frame shed to get a feel for it. 

I also like growing things, Ive got courgettes, tomatoes and cucumbers growing from seed and a whole bunch of things coming on-line as super plugs. I'll need to get a second Polly Tunnel bought and built though. My wee lass loves wandering through the Tunnel and picking cherry tomatoes and eating them right off the vine. :)

On 21/03/2020 at 09:43, Woodworks said:

some home grow food may be a bit more than just a cathartic exercise! 

Yeah, last year after about 10 seasons was the first for me to be self sufficient with [ plain ] veg, nothing fancy....still eating last years tatties and carrots and onions, it requires a lot of prep and regular discipline [ tinkering ] but well rewarding, the main lesson I've learnt is not to try and fight nature and grow what's easy for your conditions

Storing the produce successfully through the winter to do you until the next crop is another kettle of fish...and shows just how much knowledge has been lost, now that the this house of cards is collapsing I'm glad for the little things I've picked up on from my older neighbours....not that I'm a spring chic ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Yeah, last year after about 10 seasons was the first for me to be self sufficient with [ plain ] veg, nothing fancy....still eating last years tatties and carrots and onions, it requires a lot of prep and regular discipline [ tinkering ] but well rewarding, the main lesson I've learnt is not to try and fight nature and grow what's easy for your conditions

Storing the produce successfully through the winter to do you until the next crop is another kettle of fish...and shows just how much knowledge has been lost, now that the this house of cards is collapsing I'm glad for the little things I've picked up on from my older neighbours....not that I'm a spring chic ?

Do you store things in sand? I’ve heard of that being done but never grown enough of anything to have to store things for long term supply

9 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Do you store things in sand? I’ve heard of that being done but never grown enough of anything to have to store things for long term supply

Not tried that but heard about it, Last year I tried hessian sacks for carrots and tatties, hang them from the rafters in a cool shed to keep them from the mice.

I'm no expert but it's so frustrating to grow stuff and loose it in storage.....I guess it depends where you live, the problem up here on the west coast is the damp.

The best tip I've got if your growing for your family is to stagger planting of any crop so that it's ready at different times...but easier said than done if your busy, I don't need much but I've found raised beds the easiest way to manage what's growing,  cheers.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Not tried that but heard about it, Last year I tried hessian sacks for carrots and tatties, hang them from the rafters in a cool shed to keep them from the mice.

I'm no expert but it's so frustrating to grow stuff and loose it in storage.....I guess it depends where you live, the problem up here on the west coast is the damp.

The best tip I've got if your growing for your family is to stagger planting of any crop so that it's ready at different times...but easier said than done if your busy, I don't need much but I've found raised beds the easiest way to manage what's growing,  cheers.

I find onions store well in mushroom crates,and beetroot will last a good while in straw

• Like 1