Winter 20/21 - corona virus effects on firewood market?

Big J

5 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

Bit short sighted Saul, should have least waited unto see if she could/did make a fortune flogging them for loads of money. You never know what works and now may have missed a marvellous money maker yourself!

I bet they sell too. 

Theres an old woman my way selling a massive, and I mean massive wind blown Beech in her garden. £50 for a small trailer, ie 1 ton max, and folk are driving 15 minutes out into the sticks to cut it up and load their trailers. 

I told her to get back to me when folk have finished cherry picking the smaller branches. :D 

• Like 1

As a scrounger that bucks and splits my own, I'm suspecting it'll be harder to scrounge this spring and summer as I am guessing tree surgeons will have a lot less work then normal.  Oh well, next winter's was CSS last spring and summer so I've time to rebuild my at stacks.... Or I turn the gas Ch on for winter 21/22.

56 minutes ago, neiln said:

As a scrounger that bucks and splits my own, I'm suspecting it'll be harder to scrounge this spring and summer as I am guessing tree surgeons will have a lot less work then normal.  Oh well, next winter's was CSS last spring and summer so I've time to rebuild my at stacks.... Or I turn the gas Ch on for winter 21/22.

Or, and here's a novel idea! Pay the Tree Surgeons who might be finding things tighter than usual for the logs? 

• Like 1

that monster oak stem?  I'd have happily taken a little, a lot or all of that.  I'm very northern point of Croydon borough, Upper Norwood, near crystal Palace. I'll PM you my details if you have anything in this area, and as I said I'm on the tip site directory.  Happy to give a few quid for a load, and a few more quid for a load of good stuff like Oak.

I suspect between nepia and I we can take are of a lot of arb waste from croydon, merton, bromley etc!  

• 1 month later...

How's it all going out there?  Everyone got next winters stock all split and ready?  

Are people out there still felling and removing large amounts of standing timber or just stopped for now?.

I've managed to to get 50t of ash locally but that's all. 

I'm sure the sales of logs end of this year will only drop a small amount but definitely effect the supply to wholesale. 

What are your thoughts?  Worried? 

8 minutes ago, otter said:

How's it all going out there?  Everyone got next winters stock all split and ready?  

Are people out there still felling and removing large amounts of standing timber or just stopped for now?.

I've managed to to get 50t of ash locally but that's all. 

I'm sure the sales of logs end of this year will only drop a small amount but definitely effect the supply to wholesale. 

What are your thoughts?  Worried? 

If people spend more time in there own home, rather then going out and them working from home they will burn more.