Winter 20/21 - corona virus effects on firewood market?

Big J

Good point. 

But what about getting hold of timber to produce logs.

I don't buy import all local, but what with no one importing at moment demand will be very high in this country. 

Edited by otter

I reckon with  ash dieback progressing every tom dick and harry will be out felling   &  farmers will be getting there young newphews standing   up on the front loader buckets/telehandler  felling the trees.

Gonna be countryside hegderow carnage.

Ash is the most common hedgerow tree species (i.e. species growing as a full standard as part of a hedgerow) The estimated length of woody linear features (hedgerows and lines of trees) composed of ash is 98.9 000km across GB with most of this (86.1 000 km) found in England

44 minutes ago, Stere said:

I reckon with  ash dieback progressing every tom dick and harry will be out felling   &  farmers will be getting there young newphews standing   up on the front loader buckets/telehandler  felling the trees.

Gonna be countryside hegderow carnage.

Looking around locally there's already a lot of dead hedges, I've removed a few fallen trees already and the council are telling farmers to fell roadside ash now so I'm getting calls about that. 

Only problem is in a lot of cases they're getting tree surgeons in who are felling decent trees in short lengths which is no good to us.

The only reason I'm looking at felling work is in case there's a shortage, we're alright at the moment though and I've got 200ton cut ready for wholesale orders if we get any which means no immediate worry.

The other problem is that dead trees I'm offered to buy always seem to look like this (had this one free in the end):

DSC_6566.JPG

Looking around locally there's already a lot of dead hedges, I've removed a few fallen trees already and the council are telling farmers to fell roadside ash now so I'm getting calls about that. 

Only problem is in a lot of cases they're getting tree surgeons in who are felling decent trees in short lengths which is no good to us.

The only reason I'm looking at felling work is in case there's a shortage, we're alright at the moment though and I've got 200ton cut ready for wholesale orders if we get any which means no immediate worry.

The other problem is that dead trees I'm offered to buy always seem to look like this (had this one free in the end):
DSC_6566.thumb.JPG.c9ab4d4ce362b85934a58984d6ca9237.JPG
Tynllwyn?

1 hour ago, John Hughes said:
On 03/05/2020 at 10:42, gdh said:

DSC_6566.thumb.JPG.c9ab4d4ce362b85934a58984d6ca9237.JPG

Read more  

Tynllwyn?

Yes, that's the one. It was originally resting about 10ft up on the stump.

• 8 months later...

My pessimism for this winter proved to be unfounded. Had to say no to new customers back in October. Even now we are struggling to spin out the last of our dry stocks. On top of that had quite a few orders for charcoal in January! Very fortunate that most around here are not involved in hospitality.

1 hour ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

That's what i said would happen because of the massive rise in container fees. It will become apparent that we can make money from making our own logs but the problem is how to dry them. Not sure if solar panels, batteries and large fans is the answer. 🤔

It has little to do with the increased cost of container fees.

It has been a much colder winter than we've had for the lasts 3-4, with frost almost as common as not, and with a much greater proportion of people sat at home and being paid to do so.

What's going to be very interesting next winter and 22/23 is I think we'll see a substantial reduction in the availability of roundwood, as the ash supply starts to dry up. Softwood will be unaffordable as an alternative due to excessive demand from UK mills (due to import difficulties of overseas sawn products) and there just won't be anywhere near enough hardwood once the ash is gone.

Edited by Big J
  • Like 1