Hilux off rd tyres

Thesnarlingbadger

Hi guys,

I’ve been looking at getting a set of off road tyres on the wheels so I can just swap them over if needs be but I was just wondering what people’s recommendations were.

I’ve got a 69 plate Hilux and when I asked at Toyota they started asking if I wanted bigger wheels and to be honest I hadn’t even thought about it, what difference does it make?

I use it mainly for towing the chipper in to fields and through woodland. It’s coped relatively well with road tyres on so far but I have been a little reserved as I don’t want to be to plonker getting stuck in a field with road tyres on.

I’m just look for advice as to what would be the best tyres/wheel combination to get that covers most off road situations in the uk.

I’m not to bothered about spending money on them as I have made a decision to get another towed chipper as opposed to a track one so I’ll be saving a few grand here and figured I could spend the savings on some off road tyres to get me in to some of those places that I would have struggled getting to before.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Cheers

If you are going to keep a set of wheels and tyres for road use and swap, Insa Turbo Special Tracks are absolute animals off road and not that expensive. You won't get stuck, but you will carve big ruts. Otherwise if for road and off road i use BF Goodrich mud terrains, they have good on road durability, and reasonable off road grip. More expensive than Insas as they are not remoulds.

I find its a nice idea to have 2 sets of wheels, but i find when you need the mud tyres, you're on the road biased ones!

(Here, Sweden, my summer tyres are all terrain, winter tyres are slightly aggressive road tyres with studs - great on ice, not so in mud)

Id go for all terrains and keep a tirfor winch in the back. 

You could use the same size wheels ( I do ) but just fit of road hoops with a taller profile to give more ground clearance . My standard roads tyres are 65 profile and my muds are 75 . Puts the speedo out a tad but hey ho .

I’ve recently got a new hilux and I’m putting bf Goodrich all terrain on hopefully next week.

I used to run general grabber at3 on my ranger which where brilliant tyres on and off road but the bfg are a bit more aggressive for off road.

With the rain we have had, end of this year I’m thinking of buying a set of modular wheels with mud terrain to swap over.

Just wack the mud tyres on. I wouldnt bother with swtching between. Decent muds dont behave too badly on the road, i have had joy with bfg muds, cooper discovers, kumhos. Insa saharas were like ice and i constantly got punctures with them, personally if your towing a bit on A roads id get a decent branded non remould.

Cant see the point of a 4x4 without muddies on really!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice people I’m taking it all in. I’m sorry for the delay getting back to you I’ve been running around like a mad man trying to get too many jobs done before the announcement earlier. Once we are out of this crap situation we are in I’ll look in to it further.
Just out of curiosity how long are people getting out of there Goodrich tyres if they are run on the road. I generally have a couple of us in the cab saws and kit in the back and a chipper or trailer being towed if we are working though generally the chipper will be on the back of the tipper. And the trailer will be on the hilux. If I can get a year or 2 out of decent off road tyres I may just switch.
Thanks again people your wisdom is always appreciated.