Reducing costs during the Crisis..

benedmonds

If anyone has actual useful ways of making savings please share..

We have massively reduced our spend with yell over the years, but still spend about £2,000 a year, I called them today and they reduced our bill by 50% for the next 2 months. 

Edited by benedmonds
  • Like 2

Very good question.
Sorry I have no answers.
Thinking seriously about cancelling my insurance.
We will be on nationwide lockdown within 2-3 weeks maybe less.
Transit might be going sorn at yard.
I'm going to try and financially hibernate.???‍♂️
Still got rents to pay and machinery bills and usual domestic bills...

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Very good question.
Sorry I have no answers.
Thinking seriously about cancelling my insurance.
We will be on nationwide lockdown within 2-3 weeks maybe less.
Transit might be going sorn at yard.
I'm going to try and financially hibernate.???‍♂️
Still got rents to pay and machinery bills and usual domestic bills...

And this is just the start,Talk to your landlord and see if you can get reduced terms for 3 months and also do the same with the finance companies with the machines,They will have deeper pockets than you do,Cut the cloth to fit now and do not let the tit run dry

Edited by topchippyles

29 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Is revenue affecting you via the forum advertisers yet steve ??

Not as yet but I have no renewals due. Generally speaking in times of financial difficulty those who can afford to, increase their advertising, for example I did ok in the last financial crisis. This is somewhat different though so who knows what will happen this time. It’s not looking promising though 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Not as yet but I have no renewals due. Generally speaking in times of financial difficulty those who can afford to, increase their advertising, for example I did ok in the last financial crisis. This is somewhat different though so who knows what will happen this time. It’s not looking promising though 

Can always pick up a saw for a couple of jobs if needs must 

I ‘helmet cam’ed’ (go-pro) an initial site visit to a potential development site this morning just in case I can’t go back in case of lock-down. 

I explained to the site owner why and they were OK (quite impressed) with the thinking. 

On reflection, it’s not a bad idea as a matter of course. Whereas normally I take a lot of reference pictures, having a walking / talking commentary will be a useful reference for report writing and recording the current status. 

Sometimes being forced to think differently throws up better ways of working - no need to travel back to site, time, travel, fuel savings. 

• Like 5

Our business has 2 important fixed costs aside from our salary.

Insurance and social charges.

We cannot simply cancel insurances here in France, you sign up for a year, that is it.

Social charges, well these the government will give us extra time to pay.

Aside from going back to SP98 and mineral oil which is a tiny economy, working alone and not employing subbies where possible is the largest economy we can make.

Certain planned investments will be put on hold.

This evening I went through our files and separated the jobs into those I can plug away at alone and without risk and those where a subby is desirable or essential. 

Given that no more work is going to come in, for possibly months, this seems the best way to protect our business, by giving less of it away to others.

Stuart

• Like 3