Coronavirus - impacting you yet?

I've not been diagnosed but i caught something like it around 11th Feb after a round trip to New Forest then Jonsie [stayed in a couple of travel taverns] - got ill - felt rough - headache/achy/ but no runny nose for 5 days - got better for 1 week - then sore throat and felt rough again for 2 weeks with nasty cough.After this 2 weeks left me with 10 days of not severe dry cough and shortness of breath and fatigue. I think this virus is already out there - will get a self test kit when they come out to confirm.

• Like 1

That's the issue I think at the moment - how would you know if you had it or not when the symptoms per individual are so different? Statistics are only showing those who have been tested - but from what I hear there are far many more who have already caught it.

• Like 5

I had 3 weeks of feeling like a dog - about 3 weeks ago. 

I put it down to over training for aN international competition 8th Feb - after that I felt rotten and there were competitors from all over Europe.  Aching muscles and bones, tired, grumpy (er than usual) no temp, cough or loss of smell / taste though. 

If only there was a test, then maybe we’d know who’s already had it and if that might have built a degree of immunity. 

Or maybe I’m over analysing and being over optimist?

I had all the symptoms in January and was quite rough with it. Unusual because I rarely suffer with much.

Would like to think I had it and now immune but if that was the case how come the hospitals weren't packed with folk dying of it then?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

If only there was a test, then maybe we’d know who’s already had it and if that might have built a degree of immunity. 

There is apparently a test coming shortly for antibodies. Within weeks, it's indicated. Those who have had the infection (often unwittingly) will have the antibodies and therefore will not be contagious, even if still testing positive.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong there. My understanding is that some people appear to be reinfected with covid 19, but it's largely asymptomatic and they are not infectious. 

Those that have the antibodies would then be able to resume normal day to day life, as they don't represent a risk to the uninfected.

• Like 2

I had all the symptoms in January and was quite rough with it. Unusual because I rarely suffer with much.
Would like to think I had it and now immune but if that was the case how come the hospitals weren't packed with folk dying of it then?

There prob was people dieing from it but not being tested, if it was vulnerable or respiratory compromised it could have been seen as a flu aggravating their existing condition.

39k die from flu a year in the uk i think i saw...

I've not been diagnosed but i caught something like it around 11th Feb after a round trip to New Forest then Jonsie [stayed in a couple of travel taverns] - got ill - felt rough - headache/achy/ but no runny nose for 5 days - got better for 1 week - then sore throat and felt rough again for 2 weeks with nasty cough.After this 2 weeks left me with 10 days of not severe dry cough and shortness of breath and fatigue. I think this virus is already out there - will get a self test kit when they come out to confirm.

Convinced I’ve had it too, late February, same deal, all the symptoms. I’m rarely ill cos I’m fit and don’t work in very close contact with anyone but this one wiped me out. Took time off work for the first time in five years. Wife and kids all got it off me, wife was bad and lost her sense of smell and taste, wasn’t too bad in the kids, oldest is 3 1/2 youngest is 3 months

It’s a bit of an aside, but the £billions being spent on refurb the Palace of Westminster really can be exposed as a very poor decision by the cronies that want to slink around the salubrious setting. 

It was already unsuitable for modern governance, at risk of flooding, over crowded and completely inadequate in a great many ways. 

Now we see the consequences of such antiquated work spaces having a direct and significant impact on the business of government - in no small part, directly attributable to the real estate. 

I was Very fortunate to have been invited to dinner with Dr Mynors the night before his Barchams briefing (2012?) and I well recall the look of absolute derision he gave me when I suggested the money might be better saved by relocating parliament to an ex-army warehouse at Bicester or Stafford, complete with on site accommodation, modern work, communication, security and leisure facilities whilst partial refurb of Westminster so that it could be handed over to NT or EH as a public monument / museum / visitor centre. 

I wonder if the MPs that voted the refurb budget through will be thinking differently in weeks to come?

Every penny counts (especially when some other bar steward had to earn it!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1