Discovery 5 Commercial Rear Seats

Pedrod316

On 28/05/2020 at 09:49, doobin said:

Is the commercial tax less then??? I know I pay a damn sight more vehicle tax on my 1.3 scores van than I would on a car with the same engine!

As a 'commercial' you can get the vat back which amounts to a 20% discount. But as a commercial vehicle,  you have different speed limits too! I think your insurance is possibly dearer tha soc, dom and pleasure too!

On 27/06/2020 at 15:58, Alycidon said:

My accountant tells me the the VW Amorak 4 door pick up is now taxed as a car due to the amount of luxury stuff its fitted with. leather, air con, auto,cruise,  not the sort of things you would usually find in a van.  The high end Izuzu has most of these as options so maybe that will also come under scrutiny.

A

mmmmm be interested to evidence. amarok et al generally safe thus far due to having a "safeguarded" 1tonne payload AREA that cant be encroached onto by seats etc like Kombis..but theyll be taxing our go-nads at this rate to stop us re-producing.. ..."Greta Tax"

On 27/06/2020 at 19:18, PeteB said:

As a 'commercial' you can get the vat back which amounts to a 20% discount. But as a commercial vehicle,  you have different speed limits too! I think your insurance is possibly dearer tha soc, dom and pleasure too!

Speed-limits depends on class of vehicle and rating. Not just that they are "commercial" for tax reasons.

The big point is that if a vehicle is rated as commercial therefore its "van tax" on BIK which on say an Amarok could be the difference of £500+ per month saving for an employee..

5 hours ago, Stihllymok said:

Speed-limits depends on class of vehicle and rating. Not just that they are "commercial" for tax reasons.

The big point is that if a vehicle is rated as commercial therefore its "van tax" on BIK which on say an Amarok could be the difference of £500+ per month saving for an employee..

I got a speed awareness course recently for doing 60mph on a single carriageway A road in Lincolnshire.  The ticket was 60 in a 50, automatic camera, Ford Ranger crewcab. 

You have a good point on the BIK.

Apparently not. 

Registered, taxed, insured as a commercial vehicle. I know someone who got a spec'ed up T5 Synchro/4motion van with 2nd row of seats for family use and despite being very sweet, is classed/registered as a van and commercial rule apply!

17 hours ago, PeteB said:

I got a speed awareness course recently for doing 60mph on a single carriageway A road in Lincolnshire.  The ticket was 60 in a 50, automatic camera, Ford Ranger crewcab. 

You have a good point on the BIK.

Unless a Ranger is over 2040kg unladen (which I don't know) or is the 4x2 variant rather than the 4x4, then it is a Dual Purpose vehicle and is subject to the same speed limits as a car. This suggests that either (a) you received an incorrect ticket which you should/could have contested, (b) you were actually in a 50mph limit, possibly without realising it, (c) you were towing a trailer, or (d) you don't have 4WD on your Ranger.

I suggest that (a) or (b) are probably the most likely.

7 hours ago, Treewolf said:

Unless a Ranger is over 2040kg unladen (which I don't know) or is the 4x2 variant rather than the 4x4, then it is a Dual Purpose vehicle and is subject to the same speed limits as a car. This suggests that either (a) you received an incorrect ticket which you should/could have contested, (b) you were actually in a 50mph limit, possibly without realising it, (c) you were towing a trailer, or (d) you don't have 4WD on your Ranger.

I suggest that (a) or (b) are probably the most likely.

It's an interesting one, even though @monkeybusiness says it will be over 2040kg unladen (which I have long suspected for most modern diesel 4wd) I wonder how the speed camera database decides it is not dual purpose. As I remember the  V5 for my Land Rover said just PLG but it was dual purpose.

I had always thought you needed to trigger the speed limit for the road and then they clobbered you for the extra 10mph as well. A trailer on the back would nullify the dual purpose defence as he says. @PeteB is coy about whether a tachometer is fitted.

• Like 1