Mechanical felling wedges

Hi folks

Looking at doing some felling to harvesters in big sitka plantations in the nearish future. I've done a couple of weeks in them before and found wedging to be slow and generally a pain in the arse. Felling levers do the trick sometimes but I find it often leads to needing to domino trees over, which I also prefer to avoid. To remedy this I've been looking into mechanical felling wedges, specifically those that can be run with an impact wrench. I've been impressed by videos of them working but haven't heard of anyone using them here in the UK.

They cost about £500 as a minimum, so I'd like to avoid buying one if they're rubbish. Anyone used them/heard stories/have advice? Cheers

I'm looking at this one, I've already got an impact wrench so that's not a problem.

WWW.FORSTREICH.DE

TR24-AQ - mechanischer Fällkeil, für den Einsatz mit kleineren Schlagschraubern. - 2 Kg Eigengewicht - Hubhöhe = 4cm - Druckkraft ca. 12 to

I’ve used one of the manual ratchet ones quite a bit. It requires a lot less effort to tip a tree over than banging wedges. I like it for felling dead ash as there is less shock induced to the tree so less likely to drop branches on you.

• Like 2

Most forestry cutters will just buy a 20t bottle Jack and weld a big plate for the top, sub 100 quid.

There meant to be very good, but they are expensive. A lot extra to pay on ur cutting wage, yet to hear a contractor pay extra for u having 1

The 1 problem with bottle jack's is the wieght, take a bit off carrying to the top of a hill but I imagine so will a mechanical wedge and drill.

Would u also be happy using drill in heavy rain, there not cheap either

Must admit relatively new to jacking trees but it is bloody brilliant.

Althou u do need to carry ur sledge and wedges too, which is a shame.

But until now I done wot everyone else has done for decades, wedged or ideally waited for the right wind to blow trees in, by far the easiest way.

Been looking at these for a while myself, as mentioned the rain and an impact gun may not be the best combo long term ? Sy mentions the ratchet type but they are a smaller version which I would still reckon wedge and axe much of a muchness ? but point about the ratchet being safer on dead stuff very valid !

So did some digging and see that strixner.de and nestle.de do hyd versions which are based on a bottle jack but a lot better, strixner even do a remote electric pump version ! The nestle version would be my first choice but only when I find out a price, it's just over 9kg and very simple with 28+ ton lift. Till then I'll carry on with a 15tand 20 jack and a selection of wedges.

I would say out has done more research than me.

But do u not run it of lift with the ratchet/wedge type??

Don't like like they lift that high.

I ran out with the bottle Jack the other day, and slot was tight ( nudge nudge, wink wink) don't get me wrong stem was leaning well over but still standing as very heavy wieghted the wrong way, didn't take much to wedge over from there.

I'm sure a lot safer than wedging dead trees esp ash but winching might be a safer option. Is there not a bracket to hold ur drill and u pull trigger using a rope.

• Like 1