Milled a log...now what??

Dilz

If you want to make rustic dig like the pictured table. Garden benches and tables etc then you can achieve a good finish with a belt sander. Of course big jointer and planers would be great but very few workshops can joint and plane 2 foot wide boards.
Rustic self milled Slabs. Rustic finish furniture.. Easily achievable for most people who are sensible enough to be able to use an alasksn.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, se7enthdevil said:

how long are they jon?

i might be able to convince my joiner landlord that they would be suitable for his work if he needs some yellow poplar.

Hi Steve.   They're 6' long milled at 1.5", 2" and one @2.5".  All 2' wide more or less.

I'd be grateful if you could persuade him.  He wouldn't need to collect them of course; I can handle your coffee!

7 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi why not start by making stuff for your house ,shelf’s.bookcase ,a bed etc and see how you get on ,Hi Jon how’s you you could always bring me some nice yellow boards I am sure we could make something nice .

Made a raised planter out of some bits of pine i planked...its a start i guess...(Will get me a beltsander for starters -  (i only own a RO sander and detail sander at the minute) . The ambition is to get a decent amount of larch from some place local for making fencing material out of to go around the property...and then build a sink cabinet for the workshop clean up area...and head board for the bed..and coffee table....window sills for the extention...new conservatory frame after the old one has been ripped down...greenhouse frame...etc etc. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2020 at 20:46, gobbypunk said:

Not talking to me any more then Jon do I smell 

Sorry Mark - nothing personal; I'll talk to anyone ?  I just forgot to come back to this thread.

I'd be more than happy to leave you with some boards next time I'm passing.  Obvs that won't be soon but will definitely keep it in mind.