Milled a log...now what??

Dilz

Complete newb here...bought a small log mill. 

planked up a couple of logs and stacked them in the log shed.

What's next? I never got much past the "here is a piece of wood...sand it smooth... when at school...

Got a year or two for stuff to properly dry and just begun to research how to turn rough cut timber into more useable/S4S planks and rails. Is it doable by hand rather than machines? is there any good literature out there that anyone would recommend?? 

13 minutes ago, Dilz said:

Complete newb here...bought a small log mill. 

planked up a couple of logs and stacked them in the log shed.

What's next? I never got much past the "here is a piece of wood...sand it smooth... when at school...

Got a year or two for stuff to properly dry and just begun to research how to turn rough cut timber into more useable/S4S planks and rails. Is it doable by hand rather than machines? is there any good literature out there that anyone would recommend?? 

What log mill did you buy, Chainsaw or band saw one  ??

Do the same as most do (myself included.)

Mill some timber, stack it with illogical precision and symmetry......

Then move the stack(s) around the yard at least twice per year (every time it gets in the way of some other job) for the next 10 years until it reduces itself to unusable mush. 

Then repeat....

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

16 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

1 Sell it to buy more logs.
2 Mill the logs
3 go to 1
emoji23.pngemoji106.png

2 & 3 are achievable....

1 is near impossible - either for reasons of irrational emotional attachment or the complete absence of a punter willing to part with folding which equates to the Herculean effort of (a) milling it in the first place and (b) moving it around the yard twice a year for 10 years....

It is the ultimate fools errand!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

2 & 3 are achievable....

1 is near impossible - either for reasons of irrational emotional attachment or the complete absence of a punter willing to part with folding which equates to the Herculean effort of (a) milling it in the first place and (b) moving it around the yard twice a year for 10 years....

It is the ultimate fools errand!

Or sell it to me at wholesale prices and I find the punters....not so much money, but easy....as long as you are sort of in my neck of the woods.

• Like 1

A relevant thread.  I was given a Tulip stem a couple of years ago and had it milled by an Arbtalker.  I've recently sold 4 of 27 boards!  It is beautiful stuff with its butter yellow heartwood but what do I do with a load of 6' x 2' Tulip boards?!

• Sad 1