Tracked chipper on a tipping trailer?

billpierce

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2020 at 14:38, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Never tried putting chipper on the tipping trailer, it would be a high centre of gravity. 

I normally tow my Forst TR6 on an Ifor 12 ft plant trailer, sometimes with mucktruck on as well. Tows beautifully. In recent times logistics have meant I have had to put the TR6 on my Ifor 12 x 6.5 tipper, and it still tows very nicely in that, much better than when the trailer is 70% full of woodchip. Had it on weighbridge and it is just still legal, any fuller with chip and it is over the limit.

Nice old hilux,??  how well does it tow that sort of weight?  I cant remember having much trouble towing a 1.5 ton digger with my old mk3, but I've been a bit spoilt since then- td5s, 3.2 ranger, puma 110 and a discovery 3????. Oh and a D max??

So as much as I cant wait to get my mk3 tipper back on the road I'm a bit worried what it will tow the chipper and a load of chip like??

20 minutes ago, william127 said:

Nice old hilux,??  how well does it tow that sort of weight?  I cant remember having much trouble towing a 1.5 ton digger with my old mk3, but I've been a bit spoilt since then- td5s, 3.2 ranger, puma 110 and a discovery 3????. Oh and a D max??

So as much as I cant wait to get my mk3 tipper back on the road I'm a bit worried what it will tow the chipper and a load of chip like??

Tbh its pretty slow and low gears on hills. But always gets you there! Its always a bit of shock getting back in it after driving around in the other motor which has a 3.0td. Have occaisonally had to stick it in low box on very steep hills with chipper and load on, usually only if i have met someone coming down and had to stop.

But i love it. Its  a 1996 and in 2 and bit years its needed a uj, brake pads, hand brake adjusting and exhaust tightening. 

Have thought about changing engine for a 1kzte or 2lt but dont reckon they are as reliable. And the 5l ( na 3litre) are like hens teeth.

Is yours a double cab?

Sounds like how I'd expect then really! But like you say, itll get you there! 

Mines a single cab tipper, big lift, front and rear winches(well rear is half done), 2.4 turbo from a mk3, custom shaped tipper to clear the big  wheels.

I've had it 3 years and its barely been on the road? But as I still miss my completely standard mk3 that went 12 years ago, this one is going nowhere!  I'll get it done, then I cant wait to get it on and offroad??

I would love a double cab as well, but the one I've got will be my 3rd vehicle so I really cant justify another ???

If you're on Facebook theres a great group called the Mk1 -4 hilux owners, something like that, very good group.?

Edited by william127
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Sounds great. Pics please!

Just out of interest did you fit the standard mk3 2l engine with a turbo or have you changed the engine out for a 2lt? 

Changed the whole engine and gearbox. When I got it,  part of the reason I bought it in fact, it had a 200 tdi fitted! Dont laugh, it was a great idea, easy to find, solid old more powerful engine, but something wasnt right between the engine and gearbox, so it was killing gearboxes.

I bought a whole cheap mk4 as a donor.

I'll try and get some pictures up, but I've not been successful the last few times....

FB_IMG_1577816312186.jpg

Screenshot_20200409-223419_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200409-223414_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200409-223403_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200409-223348_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200409-223337_Facebook.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Little bump to this one. I have a 3.5t Brian James tipping trailer which I got with the intention of cutting about with a tracked chipper on. It drives great, and is obviously pretty versatile. My only issue is unloading the chipper seems a bit… bold. When the centre of balance shifts it basically drops onto the ramps, which I’m not really happy with.
Obviously unloading uphill is a bit of a benefit/preferable to downhill, but I wonder if anyone else has any pointers? Longer ramps would help I but I’m sure the built in ones are about as long as I can do.