Tracked chipper on a tipping trailer?

billpierce

We use the same safetraks on ifor gh94 plant trailers - they fit on perfectly and aren’t too high for chipping (you stand on the open ramp to load). 
How have you found the safetrack 150/35s? It seems good, if a little slow in the feed rollers but good crushing. Maybe an underlying issue with mine.

From a measure up i thought i would need a 5ft wide trailer?

18 minutes ago, billpierce said:

How have you found the safetrack 150/35s? It seems good, if a little slow in the feed rollers but good crushing. Maybe an underlying issue with mine.

From a measure up i thought i would need a 5ft wide trailer?

Sorry - I meant the same 1928 safetraks as in my previous posts. I haven’t had any experience of the new 150 I’m afraid. 
The 1928 will easily fit into a 4 1/2 foot wide (internal) plant trailer no problem.

Sorry - I meant the same 1928 safetraks as in my previous posts. I haven’t had any experience of the new 150 I’m afraid. 
The 1928 will easily fit into a 4 1/2 foot wide (internal) plant trailer no problem.
Ok thanks for clarifying. Nothing new about thissun i have though, think itll be knocking on 20 yr old
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, josharb87 said:

No problem at all, done it with my 1300kg Jensen and now my 1600kg Jensen (plus stumpgrinder when needed!) 

if you’re not doing any removal of chip, then a lighter plant trailer will be nicer, but for versatility you can’t beat the tipper! 

if going for a new Ifor, get the aluminum ramps, they’re half the weight of the steel ones, and well worth the extra pennies

Josh, i really like the placement of the Arbtrolley. Did you built a mount for it, or just strap it on?

Also, i like the placement of the lighter weight when loading chipper and grinder. Heavy stuff towards the middle of the road (Y)

15 hours ago, KristofferNJ said:

Josh, i really like the placement of the Arbtrolley. Did you built a mount for it, or just strap it on?

Also, i like the placement of the lighter weight when loading chipper and grinder. Heavy stuff towards the middle of the road (Y)

shorten the Arb trolley to its shortest setting and just hang it on the trailer, then a ratchet strap on the bottom.

side weight doesn’t make much difference, the grinder sits snug against the side and the heavier chipper more to the middle.

front rear is the important one and still loads of room front and back to adjust the balance (12ft trailer) 

• Like 1

we use a 8x4 plant trailer for the tracked chipper, fits on perfectly and is nice and compact for narrow roads and peoples drives etc.

i can see the logic in a bigger tipping trailer being more useful , but the little plant trailer is dead handy for daily use.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, carlos said:

we use a 8x4 plant trailer for the tracked chipper, fits on perfectly and is nice and compact for narrow roads and peoples drives etc.

i can see the logic in a bigger tipping trailer being more useful , but the little plant trailer is dead handy for daily use.

I used to run a little 8x4 plant trailer years ago and was ok at the time. Then got a 10x5 plant trailer.... miles better being that foot wider and still narrower than the truck. 

Then upgraded to a 10x6 better still! Yes it is a big bastrd and does stick out either side of the truck but would never go back. Every now and again think how a small plant trailer be ideal now and again but can't beat this big donkey 10x6 :D

• Like 1

On 16/03/2020 at 20:01, swinny said:

I used to run a little 8x4 plant trailer years ago and was ok at the time. Then got a 10x5 plant trailer.... miles better being that foot wider and still narrower than the truck. 

Then upgraded to a 10x6 better still! Yes it is a big bastrd and does stick out either side of the truck but would never go back. Every now and again think how a small plant trailer be ideal now and again but can't beat this big donkey 10x6 :D

We run a GX106 with the two sliding ramps. Its gives us great flexibility to put bigger tracked chippers on. We used to have a GD105 and would always worry about collecting a machine which hadn't been on it before....

Only downside is the 106 does feel wide behind the Defender. 

8 hours ago, GA Groundcare said:

We run a GX106 with the two sliding ramps. Its gives us great flexibility to put bigger tracked chippers on. We used to have a GD105 and would always worry about collecting a machine which hadn't been on it before....

Only downside is the 106 does feel wide behind the Defender. 

We used to have the gd105 but wasn't too happy with it. Single leaf spring and those 13" tyres with big soft sidewalls.... Horrible trailer when full of logs would weave about behind you even when weight properly distributed. Was fine with just machines on.

The gx106 is a lot better trailer. We have full ramp. Twin leaf spring and better wheels and tyres makes all the difference! Great trailer