Tracked chipper on a tipping trailer?

billpierce

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Ah my mistake, it shows my prejudice though as I dislike towing. My bateson tipper would easily handle that and was quite low but you can't get tyres for it now.

Is that the almost indestructible tyres that look like they are off a forklift?

A few mates have said they never use their tracked chipper off the back of plant trailer like a tow behind, too annoying and far from back of vehicle and high so that put me off plant trailers as as far as i can tell that would be the main benefit.

Just now, billpierce said:

A few mates have said they never use their tracked chipper off the back of plant trailer like a tow behind, too annoying and far from back of vehicle and high so that put me off plant trailers as as far as i can tell that would be the main benefit.

We use the same safetraks on ifor gh94 plant trailers - they fit on perfectly and aren’t too high for chipping (you stand on the open ramp to load). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billpierce said:

Just got a tracked chipper, greenmech st 150/35. Its 1300kg.

I have no trailer yet. Thinking of a tipper that can double up and be useful for other stuff. But maybe it wont work well/be too high/ heavy

Any thoughts from people that have done this?

Are you predominantly urban (chip removal) or rural (chip remain on site)?

Reason I ask is, if rural, a dinky little trailer for the tracked chipper would be ideal.  I've often wished I had one like pic 1.

I tend to use IW GX125 for chipper / MultiOne which allows for plenty of extra space for ancillaries but makes for a long vehicle / trailer combo.  Can't grumble though, it's been a good combo.

Just ordered the Auto Vox W7 wireless reversing camera.

Going to lash on the back of the trailer for awkward reversing jobs.  Planning to tap into the lights rather than the reversing light so as to have a constant rear view on screen when lights are on rather than just when selecting reverse.

Never tried putting chipper on the tipping trailer, it would be a high centre of gravity. 

Screenshot 2020-03-15 at 14.23.56.png

• Like 1

No problem at all, done it with my 1300kg Jensen and now my 1600kg Jensen (plus stumpgrinder when needed!) 

if you’re not doing any removal of chip, then a lighter plant trailer will be nicer, but for versatility you can’t beat the tipper! 

if going for a new Ifor, get the aluminum ramps, they’re half the weight of the steel ones, and well worth the extra pennies395D54AF-B6E9-4244-98A8-66340F28D8C3.thumb.jpeg.0ebf3d80d7437b4e329beeae7ed41e32.jpeg

6599232E-74B5-489E-B95C-60A73112B395.thumb.jpeg.49cebd5241a1b2436361d99e7075512f.jpeg

• Like 7

Hi i went through this about 6/7 years ago and ended up with a ifor 10ft tipper that gets used for many things, got rid of a ifor plant trailer and a ifor flat and bought the 10ft tipper,  we move tracked chipper about with it along with a kubota tractor that just goes on with Igland winch fitted, we dont have any problems with moving either machine about, tows well,stops well and i dont find it unstable at all,others will tell you different but one thing i will stress is go for the one with the smaller wider tyres as it lowers the bed hieght down making loading not as steep, to be very honest about this a tipper serves all sorts of purposes and saves so much time when unloading log chip etc as its just push a button, you wont regret buying one as i have said many many times its been the best 3k i have ever spent,

• Like 5

I bought my ifor from a dealer 2nd hand, was put off ebay by risk of hot/ringed/ragged kit, its a 12x6 dropside with steel ramps, it paid for itself in two months, was about £3800 inc vat, in two years it has been pretty bomb proof. Only issue was I dropped a log on the hydraulic oil tank and cracked the top slightly, the newer models have the tipper gear under the bed.