Planting rates 2020

I've been asked to do some planting, but haven't done any for years so was wondering what the going rate is at the moment?

Planting in a grass field.

Bare root whips.

4ft tubes + stakes.

Trees and materials supplied so labour only.

It's a bit faffy, planting in single lines with all the trees to go in according to a plan where each tree is marked. So I fear that would slow things down a fair bit.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1584011413048.jpeg

Edited by Daniël Bos

Was just on radio just now about shortage of foreign workers:  aussy and eastern euros workers, to plant all the trees pledged in the new budget statement

Also shortage of trees from UK so they will need to be imported....

Natural Climate Solutions

Tree-planting is viewed as another “essential” by those that have studied roadmaps to net-zero.

The CCC estimates that at least 30,000 hectares of woodland will need to be planted annually to meet tree-planting targets that are in line with the net-zero target, while also revamping farm practices in relation to climate change. An additional 20,000 hectares may be required if decarbonisation levels slow.

The Budget revealed a Nature for Climate Fund, which will invest £640m in tree planting and peatland restoration in England. It is estimated that this will increase the rate of tree planting by more than 600%. The ECIU’s director Richard Black pointed out on Twitter that natural climate solutions have 0.1% of the funding allocation of infrastructure (£640m vs £640bn) in this budget.

However, the Government estimates that 30,000 hectares of trees will be planted over the next five years to create a forest area the size of Birmingham.

This is well below the Conservatives manifesto commitment to triple tree-planting rates to 30,000 hectares annually. More worryingly is the fact that the Government’s efforts to plant 11 million trees by the end of this year is well below target, with Shadow Environment Secretary Dr Alan Whitehead claiming that the Government may be more than 70% behind the target.

The aforementioned Energy Systems Catapult study suggests that planting a forest of up to 50,000 hectares annually (around twice the size of Birmingham) may be required to offset up to 33Mt of carbon emissions equivalent by 2050.

As with CCS, the Government has made positive steps to ringfence funds for essential net-zero solutions. But in mimicking CCS policy to date, previous Government efforts mean the natural solutions efforts being made today will still be handicapped by historical levels on inaction.

What species are thoose tree being planted  in pic?

Edited by Stere

53 minutes ago, Stere said:

Was just on radio just now about shortage of foreign workers:  aussy and eastern euros workers, to plant all the trees pledged in the new budget statement

Also shortage of trees from UK so they will need to be imported....

What species are thoose tree being planted  in pic?

I'm not British....

Saxon Euro power for the win here, see it as humanitarian aid to these Islanders.

There's a wide mix of species going in.

Oak, birch, field maple, Holly, sw chestnut, hazel, whitebeam, hornbeam, goat Willow, alder, lime, whitebeam, turkey oak, Italian alder, Aspen.

Probably a few I forgot.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nemcc said:

70p to a £1 I suppose 

I would be looking for depends on spacings.

I planted  around 1100 trees this week and have been since November. 

Boring but easy.

Cheers, I reckon anything over 60p is enough for me to take it on as it's within walking distance of my house and the ground is pretty easy going (clay).

It's the faffery that'll take the most time I fear.

Interesting surprised about turkey oak as conservationist hate them.

Iv'e down planting mixed hardwood before and nearly  all the hazel died after 15yrs as was mixed in with ash and alder and field maple so got over shaded. So block planting rather than random mix is it  better for some species etc.

Edited by Stere