Servicing chippers

1 hour ago, GA Groundcare said:

We charge £49 per hour plus vat.

I can see from the invoice that you have posted the dealership uses a software called "Gold". On workshop jobs you can use a pre written description to add to the service invoice. For example your one could be "workshop story 2" and the system could have 40 service descriptions, or more. The person who's creating the invoice will just add the pre written code in. The workshop story isn't specific to your machine. 

I like to type everything up that we have done so the invoice is specific to the machine. Any notes can be added, customer requests, advisories, customer didn't want X done etc etc. It does take a bit of time but then there is also no grey areas with what has or hasn't been done. It also reinforces the labour we charge. People are usually happy to pay good money in return for a good job.

Spot on and I gladly would. Shame all I have dealt with have been a shower of shite. Wouldnt  buy a new machine again. For me prefer to run older and fix myself nowadays. Had fingers burnt too many times.

Keep doing the good service! 

• Like 3

So in summary, one guy gives you a verbal quote, your machine comes in and another works on it (doubtfull he was listening in on the phone conversation or was informed of the verbal agreement) service guy then “does” the invoice.

you ring up, highlight the issue and it gets changed without question? 

sorry kev, but I fail to see the problem? 

2 hours ago, josharb87 said:

So in summary, one guy gives you a verbal quote, your machine comes in and another works on it (doubtfull he was listening in on the phone conversation or was informed of the verbal agreement) service guy then “does” the invoice.

The dealer was chancing it, as usual. 

5 hours ago, josharb87 said:

I see your point Josh and I can't grumble that the billing issue was rectified after I queried it.

But where does that leave me now?  We've had an excellent description of what a good service should be, the time it ought to take and even comparable labour rates.

I don't know now if I had a 2hr lash up which was billed as 4+hrs or or 4hr proper job adjusted by price to reflect the verbal estimate.

For me, I'm still a bit miffed because, either way, I haven't come away with the confidence that a decent job has been done and I haven't had time, nor should I actually need to, check it over myself.

There has been some fantastic feedback on the thread (except when the digger boys had a bit of a run) and I think I'll be having a discussion with the service manager when time permits.  A lot of this could have been avoided if anyone at the depot when I collected had any idea or interest in what had been done but frankly, without exception, they were all completely clueless - no idea, no interest, nada!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Watched a guy once, service a Valtra 6000, all tools in his van, he was all over it in a morning, on site. Boss moaned at the 60 quid per hour. I said, you can actually see he was a Valtra engineer, everything got done far faster than I could have, with factory tools too. Totally impressed. But coming back with no confidence job been done is a waste of yr money Kev.   K

• Like 1