Pallet loads of Hessian bagged kindling

arboriculturist

On 13/03/2020 at 19:22, arboriculturist said:

This is surely the place to ask, as I am looking for Pallet loads of Hessian bagged kindling. Yes the bags cost more, but they are not plastic and more and more people are starting to accept that you have to pay a little more if we are ever going to get away from using plastic.

I have seen a constant stream of adverts on here from people offering their pallet loads of plastic netted kindling. 

We have all heard the excuses, some of which are valid, some are not.

Perhaps there is one supplier, somebody somewhere who is prepared to be the pioneer ? and yes I know I'm not going to like the price ?

I've looked at this a few times,

Even as far as importing hessian / jute sacks 

It's all down to one thing,  cost 

A hessian bag 76x 33 is four times the price of plastic, 

Then you have the cost of haulage as a 76x 33 sack will be around 8 sacks per pallet course,  so you would get around 60 sacks of kindling per pallet,  

So that's £1.50 per sack delivered inc vat 

Without any kindling in the sack, 

So the wholesale price would be at the least £3.50 

Are you still interested?? 

A friend of mine recently said they were changing their brand of tea bags to one that was fully compostable as they were only £1 a box more. Bearing in mind the minuscule amount of non organic fabric / adhesive in a box of tea bags, sort of demonstrates the comparison amount of plastic in a Kindling net.

Things can never change if everyone continues to base their buying decisions solely on price. That mindset has led us to where are today with the climate changes and the harm we have done to planet.

I have got the hessian bag price down to nearly £ 1 / bag delivered inc vat.  Bear in mind that if the bag is returned once for refilling, the price falls to close to 50p and the cycle continues.

Surely this is a better way to move things forward and if supplier's work together, the only bags of Kindling available will come in a returnable, re-usable hessian bag.

Just the thought of making a small difference gives me a good feeling and I am 100% sure that I will be supplying Kindling packed in returnable, re-usable hessian bags in the future. ?

Edited by arboriculturist

11 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

A friend of mine recently said they were changing their brand of tea bags to one that was fully compostable as they were only £1 a box more. Bearing in mind the minuscule amount of non organic fabric / adhesive in a box of tea bags, sort of demonstrates the comparison amount of plastic in a Kindling net.

Things can never change if everyone continues to base their buying decisions solely on price. That mindset has led us to where are today with the climate changes and the harm we have done to planet.

I have got the hessian bag price down to nearly £ 1 / bag delivered inc vat.  Bear in mind that if the bag is returned once for refilling, the price falls to close to 50p and the cycle continues.

Surely this is a better way to move things forward and if supplier's work together, the only bags of Kindling available will come in a returnable, re-usable hessian bag.

Just the thought of making a small difference gives me a good feeling and I am 100% sure that I will be supplying Kindling packed in returnable, re-usable hessian bags in the future. ?

The bag return will only work on a very small scale, 

Bags which are returned will have to be sorted,  rip or damaged bags will be unusable,  any which have had bag ties cut, could be rethread but the time it will take will make uneconomic 

Are you referring to empty sacks a £1

Or is that sacks full of kindling delivered to you 

This is a genuine question 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Bearing in mind the minuscule amount of non organic fabric / adhesive in a box of tea bags, sort of demonstrates the comparison amount of plastic in a Kindling net.

It's the microscopic nature of the plastic in a tea bag getting into compost that annoys me, I can dispose of a net bag sensibly by putting it in the black bag rubbish but I don't want to put something that is otherwise compostable into the black bag.

1 hour ago, FJMatt said:

The bag return will only work on a very small scale, 

Bags which are returned will have to be sorted,  rip or damaged bags will be unusable,  any which have had bag ties cut, could be rethread but the time it will take will make uneconomic 

Are you referring to empty sacks a £1

Or is that sacks full of kindling delivered to you 

This is a genuine question 

I think very few would be damaged, a hessian is robust, just look how many seasons the old corn bags used to last. Empty hessian bags £1.

29 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

I think very few would be damaged, a hessian is robust, just look how many seasons the old corn bags used to last. Empty hessian bags £1.

So by your reply "I think"  You haven't actually put the theory in practice 

I have,  with plastic nets which in theory will last longer 

It's uneconomic, and they look horrendous 

Hessian bags of £1 

A 76x33 hessian bag cost is 50p

But as explained earlier 

You will only get 8 sacks per pallet course,  total pallet of 64 

Pallet Carriage average of £40 + vat 

64 sacks x 50p = £32

One pallet carriage £40

Total £72 +vat 

Grand total of £86.40 

£1.35 Inc vat before you put any kindling in the sack 

But if you want any I'll do them 

1 hour ago, FJMatt said:

So by your reply "I think"  You haven't actually put the theory in practice 

I have,  with plastic nets which in theory will last longer 

It's uneconomic, and they look horrendous 

Hessian bags of £1 

A 76x33 hessian bag cost is 50p

But as explained earlier 

You will only get 8 sacks per pallet course,  total pallet of 64 

Pallet Carriage average of £40 + vat 

64 sacks x 50p = £32

One pallet carriage £40

Total £72 +vat 

Grand total of £86.40 

£1.35 Inc vat before you put any kindling in the sack 

But if you want any I'll do them 

Well that's a generous offer.

What would the bag ties be made of? 

Can they be delivered on a double pallet or pallet and 1/2 which generally reduce haulage cost depending on haulier?

Would the bags be packed to hold the same as my current suppliers bags - 44 x 50 ?

Sounds like you have got the ball rolling !

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Well that's a generous offer.

What would the bag ties be made of? 

Can they be delivered on a double pallet or pallet and 1/2 which generally reduce haulage cost depending on haulier?

Would the bags be packed to hold the same as my current suppliers bags - 44 x 50 ?

Sounds like you have got the ball rolling !

Bag ties are made of Hessian  , like the bags 

A double pallet,  is exactly that double,  so double the floor space in wagon,  double the price 

The cheapest hessian sack are the 

33x76 

I will have to contact my bag suppliers to find a 44x50 with a tie 

Which is a better size for filling and should (with it being smaller) fit more on a pallet course 

1 hour ago, FJMatt said:

Bag ties are made of Hessian  , like the bags 

A double pallet,  is exactly that double,  so double the floor space in wagon,  double the price 

The cheapest hessian sack are the 

33x76 

I will have to contact my bag suppliers to find a 44x50 with a tie 

Which is a better size for filling and should (with it being smaller) fit more on a pallet course 

ALL the boxes ticked then - Sounds perfect ! ?

• Like 1