Echo 355t for your main 'big climbing saw' // 16" setups

ArborOdyssey

Hoping to get real people's anecdotes on Echo's 355t, *especially* from those who use(d) them, and especially Re:

- Power (relative to things would be nice, 201t's and 540xp's specifically!)

- longevity and, close-enough, "work-on-ability" (my understanding is husqvarna's 540xp isn't really for tinkering/DIY repair, 201t seems "half-half" in that regard...uncertain where Echo gear stands)

I'm strong enough but I'm a small guy so I default to my 25cc/12" for most-everything, only using my 32cc/16" when 12" isn't long enough and I HATE using my 32cc, thankfully the "big 3's" biggest/strongest saws are all lighter than my 32cc despite being more powerful, would appreciate being corrected if wrong but I see it as a choice between:

- husq 540xp,

- stihl 201t, or

- echo 355t

if you want to get a new / warrantied unit and at those prices I wouldn't risk buying used, so I'm kinda stuck because if my 25cc dies I'd just get another unit (hell I'm getting a 2nd one soon enough just to try more aggressive mods[porting/timing] on, at ~$100 it's worth it IMO, wanna get the lil generic screamer as close to a 2511t as possible ;D )  But when my 32cc dies I see it as breaking the bank (for me) and bite the bullet on stihl 201 or husq 540 BUT it almost looks as-if the 355t is "on-par" with them despite being like 50% of the price at only $350MSRP, am I missing something?  Am honestly expecting that these 3 top-offerings from husq/echo/stihl are all totally on-par with each other but if that were the case you'd think the 355t, at just $350, would be WAY more popular than it is....what am I missing?  I've used enough Echo gear to form a favorable opinion in fact I think I like them better than Stihl, gonna search for 355t V 201t content but hoping for anecdotes/real-life reports from people familiar with the 355t, does it have faults I'm missing, is it under-powered given what you'd expect from reading its specs, etc would be hugely appreciated, thanks!!!

[edited-in:  For "longevity / 'work-ability' ",  the two are nearly equal in my book as I don't ever want to need a mechanic I want to continue improving myself as a chainsaw mech so, at bare minimum, I wouldn't want a unit that was intentionally restrictive so far as, say, removing the muffler or carb.  Would ideally want a unit I knew was friendlier to opening-up the block for porting although I can't even be certain I'll reach the level of talent/confidence in this stuff to ever port it, am barely comfortable attempting it on a $135 saw while having a back-up of that saw in case I mess up :P ]

Edited by ArborOdyssey

540 is alright to strip down and rebuild I’ve done one with no issues , I don’t find any of the husky auto tunes bad to be honest ,having done a few 550’s and 60’s too.
I wish I could say wow echo they are so reliable but I’ve owned and own a few now and they don’t seem to be.

I just don't get this whole echo hype I have used several different models and I honestly just would never buy one there are 2 brands of chainsaw husqvarna and stihl for me both that make some great saws past and present no need to shop around for sub standard other manufacturers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bigtreedon said:

I just don't get this whole echo hype I have used several different models and I honestly just would never buy one there are 2 brands of chainsaw husqvarna and stihl for me both that make some great saws past and present no need to shop around for sub standard other manufacturers

i select the saws from Husky, Stihl, Echo or 'Dolkita' that i am sure are good for me and buy them. I do like Echo saws but not all of them.  Echo's CS 2511 TESC is a hard act to beat in my opinion and that's why i run those over a Stihl MS150T.   There are some models from all the manufacturers that i simply would not buy.  It's not hype for me it's simple economics and preference.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, peatff said:

That's my theory as well. A friend of mine really likes his 2511 but it sheds plastic and cracks all the time, he just keeps repairing it.

shedding plastic and breaking the plastic zorst cover is his own doing as i have only needed to replace 1 in 4 years. The spark plug and air filter covers popping off is also a problem i have a fix for.  I run 2 2511's now.

to the OP are you planning on using a 16" bar on this echo tophandle saw??

i have an echo 360t that came with a 14" bar and it was very slow in the cut, i swapped it for a 12" bar and it is better but still a little slow. so imo a 16" bar would be a no go.

we have the stihl 201tcms at work and we have found them to be reliable and have good cutting performance.

i got the echo for my own jobs because it was cheap, but it does fall short of the stihls in performance imo.

i paid €350 euro for my echo so bearing that in mind iam very happy with it.

carl

4 hours ago, carlos said:

to the OP are you planning on using a 16" bar on this echo tophandle saw??

i have an echo 360t that came with a 14" bar and it was very slow in the cut, i swapped it for a 12" bar and it is better but still a little slow. so imo a 16" bar would be a no go.

we have the stihl 201tcms at work and we have found them to be reliable and have good cutting performance.

i got the echo for my own jobs because it was cheap, but it does fall short of the stihls in performance imo.

i paid €350 euro for my echo so bearing that in mind iam very happy with it.

carl

Has the Echo had plenty of fuel thru it?  Mine was tight till it had about 15 litres thru it. 

• Like 1