Can you remember the first stove you ever bought?

• 2 months later...

Went big - Vermont castings Defiant Encore and Intrepid II plus one made of soapstone by a dutch company ( I was living in a large house in the highest village in Scotland at the time - with no heating and soil floors in two rooms!).

The inteprid II nearly killed me as it was in my office and would leak fumes from time to time; internal castings would not last more than 18 months and supplier backup was poor;

The Defiant Encore was both good looking and a superb stove - would stay in for 24 hours but could also be used as a hotplate;

The soapstone stove was so good I took it with me when I finally sold the house.  It would take about 4 hrs to actually give out any heat, but when it got up to temperature it would then give a very stable heat and would stay in for days at a time if necessary.

It was an off the shelf stove made by a commercial manufacturer (Dutch I think) that was bought totally on impulse with the other two.  It consisted of a cast iron frame with a glass front.  The side panels and top were made of polished soapstone about 3/4" / 20mm thick that were set into the frame.  Side loading with a catalyst and rather complex damper etc.

It is currently sat down the side of our current house as it will not fit into the fireplace without major surgery. If I remember I will try and take a photo tomorrow.

my first fire stove was Ohuhu Portable Stainless Steel Wood Burning Camping Stove It was really best portable stove i ever used!! now planning to buy  BioLite CampStove 2- Wood-Burning Small Lightweight Stove lets see how it will be  in working!!

A little Hunter Hawk about 14 years ago, multifuel it's still in the front room. It only goes on about 4 hours in the evening in winter and is a nice addition to the room. It's a bit dated now but we like it. It works well on coal or coke and with wood it is easy enough to live with but it doesn't hold a lot of fuel so you have to keep chucking wood on a piece at a time. Controls are a bit all or nothing and you can turn it down really low once it gets warmed up. It's made of thick steel with a cast iron door and minimal fire brick.

I bought a clearview 500 25 years ago when free firewood was everywhere as not many stoves about then. Moved house a few times since then but my old man got the same model a year later, still going well and looking great despite being worked hard all its life. Obviously had a few bricks and baffle plates in this time but top stoves in my view. In process of fitting a clearview 400 in my conservatory and replacing the lounge Franco belge with a 500.

regards

NoPedigree

• Like 1