Who buys gold

eggsarascal

Asking for a friend who hasn't got long left and wants to cash in everything he's got to leave to his wife, it's mainly that awful, but heavy chains, bracelets that some blokes wore in the 80's.

We know he could take it to the jewellers that buy, but they want 15-20% on the sale, or its scrap money, anyone got any other ideas?

For scrap it would make about £15k.

All this gold is legit, recipts from where they were purchased will be provided.

Unless desperate for cash I’d leave the gold in his will to her- it’s going up in price and is a stable reserve in these uncertain times. 

It’s almost certainly only worth scrap money, but with that quantity it’s worth driving a bit to find a proper bulk dealer, not a pawn shop. A few quid extra per ounce will add up. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, doobin said:

Unless desperate for cash I’d leave the gold in his will to her- it’s going up in price and is a stable reserve in these uncertain times. 

It’s almost certainly only worth scrap money, but with that quantity it’s worth driving a bit to find a proper bulk dealer, not a pawn shop. A few quid extra per ounce will add up. 

Gold price has dropped a little lately along with many other things on the stock market, i to would hang on to it as it will rise again as soon as this corona virus thing gets sorted, i was looking at some money from a ISA a week last friday and the surrender value OK but buy monday it had dropped by nearly 2k so it will get left, and while on the net had a look at gold ,silver copper lead etc all prices down,

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Gold price has dropped a little lately along with many other things on the stock market, i to would hang on to it as it will rise again as soon as this corona virus thing gets sorted...

Gold is at an all time high currently as some investors look for a safe haven away from the markets, which is the classic response to uncertainty.  So now looks like a good time imo to sell unless you want to retain a "safe" asset.

When some stability returns to the market the Gold price is likely to settle back.

Work on getting the scrap value, unless there are some interesting pieces you fancy trying on the bay! Sites like
Gold-Traders.  will give you an idea of what to expect then it's up to them whether to keep or if they need some cash now.

Personally I'd be selling the gold and looking to a simple Equity tracker when I felt the market was getting near bottom. But It'll depend on their financial situation and risk acceptance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BishBashBosh said:

Gold is at an all time high currently as some investors look for a safe haven away from the markets, which is the classic response to uncertainty.  So now looks like a good time imo to sell unless you want to retain a "safe" asset.

When some stability returns to the market the Gold price is likely to settle back.

Work on getting the scrap value, unless there are some interesting pieces you fancy trying on the bay! Sites like
Gold-Traders.  will give you an idea of what to expect then it's up to them whether to keep or if they need some cash now.

Personally I'd be selling the gold and looking to a simple Equity tracker when I felt the market was getting near bottom. But It'll depend on their financial situation and risk acceptance.

Sorry but Gold is not at a all time high, the all time high for gold was 2011/2012 and todays price as of opening this morning gold was £1295 oz at close today it was £1275 oz, now i make that a £20 drop today and this has been the trend for the last 2-3 weeks,  

• Like 1

Sorry but Gold is not at a all time high, the all time high for gold was 2011/2012 and todays price as of opening this morning gold was £1295 oz at close today it was £1275 oz, now i make that a £20 drop today and this has been the trend for the last 2-3 weeks,  

Alreight grandad chill.... any more ranting and your gold wedges are gona fall off your zimmer wheels and that’ll be you going for a sixer when ya frame gets a tank slapper on as a result!
I’d hang on to it though too, prices will come good again in a couple years when the UK sails solo eventually!
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Asking for a friend who hasn't got long left and wants to cash in everything he's got to leave to his wife, it's mainly that awful, but heavy chains, bracelets that some blokes wore in the 80's.

I miss read that initially Egger!  I read it as "he wanted to cash in and LEAVE his wife"

That'll teach me eh....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Alreight grandad chill.... any more ranting and your gold wedges are gona fall off your zimmer wheels and that’ll be you going for a sixer when ya frame gets a tank slapper on as a result!
I’d hang on to it though too, prices will come good again in a couple years when the UK sails solo eventually!

you can go and F - - k yourself as well and whats with this zimmer frame job ! can you get me one cheep or sumit, you havent got Ting Tong to get me one have from the Duty free shop ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

you can go and F - - k yourself as well and whats with this zimmer frame job ! can you get me one cheep or sumit, you havent got Ting Tong to get me one have from the Duty free shop ?

I can ask her for ya if ya want, but shes currently stuck in quarantine on the old banana boat with a pack full of masks on her face! You might get it a week on tuesday gone monday!
  • Haha 1