My Van Build

muttley9050

After a request on another thread for some photos of a van I have converted into a camper, I thought I'd start a thread for it.

So after being away from arbtalk for a while after some family problems. I'm back. Converted a van over last year as a distraction.

Took kids touring europe in it last summer. Use it most weekends now.

Decided to go down the stealth route and started with a medium wheel base transit welfare van. 2014. 42000 miles at purchase. Alot more now. Park it anywhere. Never had any bother.

Decided to go high spec on everything.

Electrical system is bombproof.

Fully offgrid

Put a hook up in but never used it.

440 a/h battery system

300w solar

60 amp amblemail dc to dc charger

Diesel heater /hot water.

1000w invertor.

1000w immersion for hot water when you don't want the heating on.

All timber is local and milled by myself.

Brown oak ceiling. 8mm t and g boards

Ash walls. 8mm t and g boards

Walnut cupboards

Maple worktops

Sycamore table

Smart beds crash tested rock and roll bed. So 5 seat belts.

Double canvas bunk above rock and roll.

Full size cooker.

Shower. Internal and extremal showers

Toilet

120l fresh water

60l waste water

Extremal gas point

Gas it undermount auto gas lpg leisure gas system

Etc etc

• Like 1

Strange coloured yellow squares are covering up words highway maintenance.
They are magnetic. I've got the v5 application in at the moment to change to motor caravan. I had to cover the words up for this purpose.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were to fall off once the application had been approved.
20200301_144950.jpeg20200301_151407.jpeg20200301_145912.jpeg

• Like 10

Looks tidy, if you get it passed as a motor caravan could you post a photo of the V5.

I presume that is a three n half ton van? If so, with all that gear, wood panaling, full water tank, fuel tank, you are well over weight.

It's not just you, look on the Motorhome/camper forums, most of the manufactures vans come out of the factories not fit for purpose.

still, a nice looking bus.

Awesome looking build!

Which victron bms have you got?

And when you say 1000W heater, is that an electric heater? 

As far as DVLA approval as a campervan goes, be prepared to be disappointed.

You'll most likely get y'r V5 back as a "van with windows" which means you can't insure it as a camper, and means van related speed limits (campers of any size have the same speed limits as cars).

A recent change at DVLA means they'll only approve conversions "that look like a campervan". In reality this seems to mean it has to have a total "factory" look on the outside, with an awning, roof plastic shite, a retired dude driving at 37 on a motorway and "campervan graphics" (which are oddly specific).

There's been almost no conversions approved lately, even ones that have awnings, pop-up roofs, go faster stripes etc.

• Like 1

Looks tidy, if you get it passed as a motor caravan could you post a photo of the V5.

I presume that is a three n half ton van? If so, with all that gear, wood panaling, full water tank, fuel tank, you are well over weight.

It's not just you, look on the Motorhome/camper forums, most of the manufactures vans come out of the factories not fit for purpose.

still, a nice looking bus.

Weighs just over 3.1 tonne with tanks full.
  • Like 4

Awesome looking build!
Which victron bms have you got?
And when you say 1000W heater, is that an electric heater? 

As far as DVLA approval as a campervan goes, be prepared to be disappointed.
You'll most likely get y'r V5 back as a "van with windows" which means you can't insure it as a camper, and means van related speed limits (campers of any size have the same speed limits as cars).
A recent change at DVLA means they'll only approve conversions "that look like a campervan". In reality this seems to mean it has to have a total "factory" look on the outside, with an awning, roof plastic shite, a retired dude driving at 37 on a motorway and "campervan graphics" (which are oddly specific).
There's been almost no conversions approved lately, even ones that have awnings, pop-up roofs, go faster stripes etc.
It's got a 1000w 240v immersion heater for hot water only, I run this through the invertor if the sun is out of I'm driving about.
If I'm parked for a few days with little sun I'll use the diesel heater for hot water Space heating is all diesel. So if the space heating is on the hot water is there anyway.