My Van Build

muttley9050

Nice job - great having a van  

Mines gone now but (at design stage) I was on my tod and main use was touring, surfing and motocross.

After a rugby weekend at Bath, which was just an excuse and a destination, for a piss up with the lads in a pucker motorhome, and where one of the fines was to empty the shitter box, I vowed I'd never have a shitter in a van of my own.  There's always the great outdoors after all.

Then the Mrs & nipper came onto the scene....

290959237_ScreenShot2020-03-11at19_33_24.png.d0c992e20d23a484377dcb3dc055c340.png

IMGP3247.thumb.JPG.8aed6ccd8016eba304cbb51293d3ba8f.JPG

IMGP3248.thumb.JPG.c96e385f6518f5cb40dbf82005998f49.JPG

IMGP3249.thumb.JPG.0e2d02b7bf43fc84d09be89a6fbf0108.JPG

IMGP3251.thumb.JPG.97214c160114725cd3ee7102f1e2d334.JPG

IMGP3246.thumb.JPG.b151f27ff5fac01e5e7775ab8e170f45.JPG

IMGP3250.thumb.JPG.4674893f03c54d1d49c593129f06f677.JPG

Exactly that. I could do without a toilet but my teenage daughter. Not so much. Always nice after a night on the beer too.

Looks like an interesting layout.

7 hours ago, muttley9050 said:

Not too fussed about the v5. Can insure it as a day van for 250.
Will probably put it up for sale soon though so would be good to cross the ts.

'scuse my ignorance but if the insurance company know what its used for and the value is agreed what difference does it make apart from 50mph on single carriageways and 60mph on dual?

'scuse my ignorance but if the insurance company know what its used for and the value is agreed what difference does it make apart from 50mph on single carriageways and 60mph on dual?
Gives me more options for insurance(cheaper) and generally better to be registered to be what it is. Standard not class 7 mot.
Looks better when I sell it.
If I don't try to change it my interpretation is I'm not following the law. If they tell me I can't then. no bother.
Quite often camper vans are punished anyway in things like parking etc.

Don't take my word for it. You will need to zoom in.

IMG_1922.thumb.PNG.20e8058fdd4f25b7d06243ba9992f9da.PNG

What part am I not taking your word for. Already filled that form out once.

Thats a checklist for v5 change not what qualifies a day van.

It Also states in bold to use the checklist to show which of the external features your van has. Implying to me that you dont need them all.

I don't really expect the v5 to be changed but am very happy that it complies as a day van.

the sucker there is the bit where they state "the vehicles exterior has to be distinguishable as a motor caravan in traffic"

Which means it as to look like one, whether or not it looks like one is up to the person looking at the photographs you sent along with your application. DVLA have instructed their staff to make this decision based on (not publicly published) guidelines which are very restrictive and basically state it has to look like a "shop-bought" motorhome.

This is (imho) all sorts of wrong, such rules don't apply to other vehicle categories (anyone seriously wanna claim a fiat multipla looks like a car??? or an ariel atom???). But it most likely is related to the more crusty "converted" vehicles, totally "stealth". Which means if the police are told to look for a motorhome, it could be right in front of them and they still see just a van.

Anyway, I hope you get y'r v5 back as a motorhome! but I'm fairly confident it'll state "van with windows" (which isn't a vehicle category? odd!)

Still think it looks great inside!

11 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

What part am I not taking your word for. Already filled that form out once.

Thats a checklist for v5 change not what qualifies a day van.

It Also states in bold to use the checklist to show which of the external features your van has. Implying to me that you dont need them all.

I don't really expect the v5 to be changed but am very happy that it complies as a day van.

Have you had the form back and need to resubmit it, or are you waiting on a reply?

I'm not being arsey with you, Muttley, but getting vans changed after conversion isn't easy, there is a bloke in the local town that converts vans professionally, he struggles to re-register them.

I hope you get yours passed, but it can be a slog.

Have you had the form back and need to resubmit it, or are you waiting on a reply?

I'm not being arsey with you, Muttley, but getting vans changed after conversion isn't easy, there is a bloke in the local town that converts vans professionally, he struggles to re-register them.

I hope you get yours passed, but it can be a slog.
Only posted it last Saturday I think so not yet no.
As Daniel says it's not clear as it's all one person's perception of what looks like what.
I understand reclassification is an arse. Been there before.
Motor homes don't need graphics. Plenty of coach built ones for sale in the UK look like panel vans with windows and no graphics so the dvla possibly need to treat everybody with the same rules.
The hi viz is the let down on mine I know.
I can buy graphics for £30 and stick them on and remove them when it's changed but I shouldn't have to as manufacturers don't have to. Some choose too. Some don't. I also like the way mine looks as I can stay in it anywhere and no one bat's an eye. Another thing the dvla don't want.
My point is though that the day van part of the argument is not a legal thing and doesn't include the dvla. It's up to the insurers what they consider a day van. I can't find any insurer that states that a day van must look like a camper in traffic.

Here’s my little day van/ camper had it about 5years  on 80k now 160k !!  done it all myself! Split charger - solar panel 12v leds chargers tv etc etc. No fridge so use a large Colman’s coolbox with a mdf cloth covered lid as a seat and  a compost loo for just in case. Insulation was the key as the missus gets cold silver bubble wrap then 30mm celotex vaper barrier  then 5mm ply then carpet any voids expanding foam. Been  all over uk ! A month in Scotland doing the north coast 500 - Skye - lakes Cornwall etc. 95%  wild camping and we love it big enough for us and the hounds I can stretch out in bed no problem!then  I’m only 5’10. Bed slides out in 2 mins and cupboard is modular with water/ waste and gas and is out in 5ish minutes and I’ve got my van back. Would never be without one now. 

B8668512-82F6-4D53-A034-469247E6BA0E.jpeg

300BD234-FEDA-469F-86D9-4FB164512BD1.jpeg

EBA22199-3EB0-4489-A302-66921A9EC43A.jpeg

C64DE5A7-2951-468A-984A-A51072EEE966.jpeg

D9491484-1992-4CEE-8709-3EF501A4E50A.jpeg

FB111984-585C-46B6-A25C-A4899B9D5A77.jpeg

• Like 3