My Van Build

muttley9050

Nope, you can tell the insurance company it's a day van, but if you have to claim it will be worth nothing. To be a day van it must look like a Motorhome from the outside, along with bed and fixed, but movable table. It's a van you've converted, nothing more, nothing less. Looks tidy, but it's a van for insurance purposes.

10 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Nope, you can tell the insurance company it's a day van, but if you have to claim it will be worth nothing. To be a day van it must look like a Motorhome from the outside, along with bed and fixed, but movable table. It's a van you've converted, nothing more, nothing less. Looks tidy, but it's a van for insurance purposes.

You can tell the insurance company anything you like... But if you want to insure the van for what it actually would cost to repair/replace it if the worst should happen, then (depending on the company/underwriters) it'll make a difference how it's registered. Fortunately none of mine have ever been in an accident of any sort (fingers crossed) but a pal who had a stunning converted van got his entire claim rejected as he'd declared it as  motorhome, but the v5 didn't state that.

Logic and fairness don't apply to insurance company loss adjusters.

3 minutes ago, Daniël Bos said:

You can tell the insurance company anything you like... But if you want to insure the van for what it actually would cost to repair/replace it if the worst should happen, then (depending on the company/underwriters) it'll make a difference how it's registered. Fortunately none of mine have ever been in an accident of any sort (fingers crossed) but a pal who had a stunning converted van got his entire claim rejected as he'd declared it as  motorhome, but the v5 didn't state that.

Logic and fairness don't apply to insurance company loss adjusters.

Yep, my 7.5t is a converted commercial van, on the V5 it's a motor Caravan. That van of Muttley's will never get passed as a day van, never mind a motor Caravan. I'm sure there are better sources of information but this came up first. It must look like a Motorhome.

WWW.CARAVANWISE.CO.UK

DIY motorhome and DIY campervan and Day Van insurance UK. Get an instant self build campervan insurance QUOTE...

My insurance company knows what the van is. What's in it. How is registered etc. They told me the policy I have covers it. Got an email from them stating that somewhere. It's a policy that was set up for self builds that didn't have the v5 changed
Day van is not a legal term here. Its an American thing. So there is no qualification for it except to my knowledge having done of the features of a camper but not all.
Will see what the v5 change comes up with.
Mine does look like a motor home from the outside for all of the things it needs to qualify except for motor home style graphics which are optional.
The bed is there. The table is fixed but movable.
The dvla say them selves that if a van has all the features of a camper van, stated by them, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified on the v5c.
I'm pretty sure my van passes all the requirements so if they don't accept the application then I will push it as far as I can as its there rules that they advertise.
As said the only one thing I don't have is campervan style graphics and they say themselves that they are optional.

• Like 1

Yep, my 7.5t is a converted commercial van, on the V5 it's a motor Caravan. That van of Muttley's will never get passed as a day van, never mind a motor Caravan. I'm sure there are better sources of information but this came up first. It must look like a Motorhome.

WWW.CARAVANWISE.CO.UK
DIY motorhome and DIY campervan and Day Van insurance UK. Get an instant self build campervan insurance QUOTE...  

According to your link then my van qualifies easily as a day van.
The only thing that stops it looking like a camper is the high viz which is colour which is not restricted on vehicles. It could easily be removed if it Comes to it but I want to push it a bit with it on.
All other features are there

Nice job - great having a van

Mines gone now but (at design stage) I was on my tod and main use was touring, surfing and motocross.

After a rugby weekend at Bath, which was just an excuse and a destination, for a piss up with the lads in a pucker motorhome, and where one of the fines was to empty the shitter box, I vowed I'd never have a shitter in a van of my own.  There's always the great outdoors after all.

Then the Mrs & nipper came onto the scene....

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 19.33.24.png

IMGP3247.JPG

IMGP3248.JPG

IMGP3249.JPG

IMGP3251.JPG

IMGP3246.JPG

IMGP3250.JPG

• Like 3