Checking qualifications

mattplym

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a way of checking qualifications with Lantra? It's not normally something I'd worry about but I've had a guy who was very shifty about producing a certificate and when he eventually did only gave me a photocopy. Something about just makes me slightly nervous.

Cheers,

Matt

2 minutes ago, mattplym said:

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a way of checking qualifications with Lantra? It's not normally something I'd worry about but I've had a guy who was very shifty about producing a certificate and when he eventually did only gave me a photocopy. Something about just makes me slightly nervous.

Cheers,

Matt

, is he any good ? Or a chancer ? K

( plenty of shit arbs out there with Lantra tickets ) k

Edited by Khriss

25 minutes ago, mattplym said:

Ha! Fair point. No idea how good he is, he's not been employed yet.

Can I ask when you were last asked to show your tickets?, I can't remember the last time I was asked for any apart from a bog standard cscs card to get on a construction site, that card is nonsense because it's the 'labourers' card that has no relevance to the trade I work in.

• Like 1

I’ve had this with NPTC before - they won’t give you any info without the person in question’s say-so due to GDPR regs. You need to get them to email Lantra and give their authority for Lantra to share the info with you, which shouldn’t be a problem if it’s all legit...

Ive also had the same issue when trying to check a potential subby’s insurance. The insurance company (who I am also insured with!) couldn’t/wouldn’t even give me a yes/no answer as to whether the person in question’s supplied in-date insurance certificate hasn’t been cancelled ‘because of GDPR’. 
The whole thing is ridiculous imo.

I had this a few years back with a lad saying he has CS 30,31,32,34,35, along with a load of other tickets, he supplied the CS30,31 cert and said he could not find the others as he had recently moved house and there was still a lot of paper work boxed up, so i took his word that he had the others, then when we came to fell some big larch like 100ft + and about 30" across at the bottom, his performance said it all, he did,nt have a clue about cutting big trees, cant do it as my saw wont reach to the middle from both sides, then when he finally did supply tickets CS30,31 pole saw, lawn mower, planting trees and some others, if i was you, get him to bring his tickets and you photo copy em and then you have seen them, never do what i did as its OK untill something goes wrong then its you who is in the shit,

• Like 2

Tell him you'll take him on based on the tickets he supplies (originals - not photocopies), so if he only has cross cut then his wage reflects that. The more he provides the better wage you can offer. That should encourage him to find his certs or arrange replacements if hes genuinely lost them.

23 hours ago, mattplym said:

Hi,

Cheers,

Matt

If he makes you nervous, don’t hire him

• Like 1

It's one ticket with it all printed on the back.
Keep it next to my drivers licence in my wallet.
There's an nptc number you're supposed to be able to check with nptc.
Thing is....
I used to send a photo of my ticket.
Who knows who's copied it?
[emoji51]