Lock Down?

5 shires

Cannot really understand the full implication of throwing untold billions at the economies of the world. We seem to owe trillions here alone, Italy seems to be in terrible trouble.   The EU seems to have lost all control of its border policies and its

fiscal policies.  I think it will be the final nail in the coffin for the EU, they certainly have no monetary reserves left.

Surely printing money must end up with massive inflation and the only reason we have not had inflation since the 2008 financial crisis is that governments and banks have put the lid on it. They never actually solved the basic problem, just pushed it forward.

But as you all know, when you seal the lid on a boiling container, at some point it has to explode.

• Like 2

Got a feeling you might do better than milling at the minute[emoji106]

Still getting milling jobs,
It's all the tree work that's dried up.
Hopefully all these people who will be working from home will want trees cutting if the sun come out.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

On 09/03/2020 at 22:15, 5 shires said:

Being self employed like the majority of guys on here and some have regular self employed guys working for them,I was just thinking if we have to self lock down for a couple of weeks will the Government pay us lost income??

What ever your on ! i will have one please,

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Mark J said:

A universal basic income would be what I'd go for, if I knew what I was on about. Quantative Easing for the little people, for a few months.

Rare, but I‘m inclined to agree with you Mark. That would seem to be an eminently sensible move. 

Time to strip out the decades of complexity, bureaucracy and political ideologies associated with the current social security system and re-invent the wheel. 

Id even go so far as to recognise and acknowledge the requirement for redistribution of extreme wealth in order to achieve it. 

Take a brave political leader to do it though. Not sure such a beast currently graces us with there presence.  Even if it were to be snuck in under cover of a global crisis - if ever, now is the opportunity. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Rare, but I‘m inclined to agree with you Mark. That would seem to be an eminently sensible move. 

Time to strip out the decades of complexity, bureaucracy and political ideologies associated with the current social security system and re-invent the wheel. 

Id even go so far as to recognise and acknowledge the requirement for redistribution of extreme wealth in order to achieve it. 

Take a brave political leader to do it though. Not sure such a beast currently graces us with there presence.  Even if it were to be snuck in under cover of a global crisis - if ever, now is the opportunity. 

^Anarchist.?

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I would agree that extreme wealth is one of our societies problems but would love to see how it could be addressed.

Governments have been slow to react to predatory american based companies like microsoft and amazon filching untaxable income because we have been sold the idea of free trade by America, the African countries are being devastated by the american controlled IMF forcing them to drop any protection of their nascent industries Yet all along US has discreetly managed to protect its own companies from foreign competition under the guise of national security. They even managed to foist their toxic debt onto our finance sector who were gagging for free trade to have access to their banking, at the expense of much of our wood industries as tariffs on imports were dropped.

This has led to the US economy having a much higher  differential between rich and poor than europe.

And therein lies another topic, Average incomes in US...

• Like 2