Lock Down?

5 shires

14 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Very difficult to know where to begin. I will throw a few random comments in as they enter my head:

1) Appraisal system is useless aka "not fit for purpose". The majority of decent doctors spend too long worrying about and preparing for it, while the few bad apples are slick at selling themselves on paper. One year I had to tick a box to confirm that I am honest! WTF?

2) A major problem is ever moving goalposts - targets to meet being changed every few months, guidelines changing far too quickly. The culture of "constant change".

3) As a partner in general practice, ie the old fashioned way, rather than a salaried assistant, employed by other gp's, I have always been paid adequately for my work, and in some years very well indeed. I don't think pay is an issue.

4) Not enough time per patient appointment to sort things out properly.

5) Increasing amounts of work that were hospital based (secondary care) being moved over to GP (primary care), but without the funding following the extra workload. By this I do mean funding, no pay. For example, a practice can do a lot more if it has the funding to take on an extra nurse/nurse practitioner/practice based physio etc.

6) The reluctance of so many in society to be realistic in their expectations of what can be achieved, particularly with the frail elderly. 

7) The lack of continuity of care. When I was a young new GP it was not uncommon to give your home number to the family of a terminally ill patient in the community during the last few weeks of the illness. That just doesn't happen now due to workload and burnout sadly.

? Chronic underfunding of the NHS. I use to think this was not the case, until my wife (also a GP) learnt that for years the UK had spent a smaller proportion of GDP on the NHS than most other European countries.

9) The need, perceived need, to practice defensive medicine - overinvestigation of many patients to rule out any possible litigation. 

Etcetera...

Basically according to Dr Kay, he earned less than he could work at burger king, after the car parking charges were deducted, which is fukking atrocious. And he did not get paid for working past his shift time cos the Trust needed to keep Drs hours down ( like yr gonna nip off yr shift with a mother heamorraging in front of you whilst waiting the handover for the consultation heamotologist) k

8 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

My mate is pouring the footings today on a new build he's building, he's just rang to tell me all the materials for a start on Monday are on the truck and aren't being delivered, he isn't happy.

I’ve got a grab lorry doing a few days for me over the next 2 days and local plant hire are delivering a dumper and moving my digger for me. We have agreed to abide by all guidelines around social distancing and no one will be coming into contact with anyone as job is in the middle of no where. Once again, common sense should rule the roost. Seeing the packed tube trains- well that’s just plain asking for trouble.

• Like 4

Well i just been to our local fuel station/shop needed some diesel,some basic supplies(bread,butter,milk,etc,etc),its about a 6 mile round trip and to be honest i was really impressed,didn,t meet a vehicle til got to garage,no one out walking and only 3 people at the shop all keeping their distance,plenty on the shelves to buy,if people do this everywhere we might get somewhere?still no bog roll though?

Edited by gary112
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Stephen Arb Association said:

Hi all,

Just to reiterate here :

Please see the following update - As government advice is currently unclear, and as is the norm at the moment still being developed, until we have clarity from defra that's all we can safely say - but we are actively seeking clarification and hope to have further detailed guidance this afternoon. Thanks for your patience and please stay safe everyone.

Arboricultural Association Coronavirus Update - Guidance for Arboricultural Contractors

The Arboricultural Association is actively engaging with partner organisations through our membership of the Parliamentary Ornamental Horticulture Group to seek industry-specific guidance from Government. In the meantime we would urge all of our members to follow existing Government and Public Health advice relating to Coronavirus and stay at home unless absolutely necessary.

Further statements will follow as soon as we have received any additional clarification and guidance from official sources.

WWW.TREES.ORG.UK

<h2 class= dblue bold mb20 >Guidance for Arboricultural Contractors</h2> <div class= row lgreybg ml0 mr0 style=...

Maybe membership of the Parliamentary Ornamental Horticulture Group was, in part, a reason for the apparent inability to challenge the HSE 2 rope working fiasco?

Could you:

(a) reference a non generic Gov document which says stay at home unless absolutely necessary - maybe something more arb related rather than a mantra for the metropolitan general public?

(b) acknowledge that, in the absence of any current Gov support for the self employed that the income generated from the task, rather than the interpretation of necessity of the task, is what actually defines absolutely necessary.

(c) acknowledge that current Gov guidance actually states work which absolutely cannot be done from home IS an exempted activity in line with current (19:42 24 Mar 20) Gov guidance (below.)

(d) consider the potential for the AA to move from the Ornamental Horticulture Group to something with a bit more relevance for the sake of the industry? 

Screenshot 2020-03-24 at 19.28.31.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rough Hewn said:

My other regular subby called today asking about any work.
He's young (20) lives alone.
I asked him if he's got much food in,
Yeah enough to last the weekend he says...?
Another 30kg gone.
emoji849.pngemoji106.png

The wife nipped out today to pick up tatties. 50kg for £10. Should keep them going a while if it comes to that. Barn was still well stocked but selling like hot cakes supposedly. 

We'll know things are getting bad when the chickens start to disapear. :D 

• Like 1

Well i just been to our local fuel station/shop needed some diesel,some basic supplies(bread,butter,milk,etc,etc),its about a 6 mile round trip and to be honest i was really impressed,didn,t meet a vehicle til got to garage,no one out walking and only 3 people at the shop all keeping their distance,plenty on the shelves to buy,if people do this everywhere we might get somewhere[emoji106]still no bog roll though?

Want me to send ya some pal, i’m all for sharing! might cost ya a 046 but i’m not in it for the profiteering..... honest! [emoji6]?[emoji39]
  • Like 2

Our son who works in the post office, phoned mum to chat(so thats a positive side effect of Covid 19 !)

Of all the numerous P.O. customers today, he identifed only 5 who actually needed to be there,

plus he was accosted by a group of feral children at 08:00, so he reckons they must have been out all night!

p.s.

I spoke with PSNI Firearms today, they sounded very positive in respect of my very recent variation to put grandfathers .303 on my FAC, with 1,000 rds of ammo.(The RFD who was holding the rifle fucked me about sommat serious for 3 fucking months, so I finally had to do the paperwork myself)

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1