Lock Down?

5 shires

Asked about the issue at the briefing, Mr Hancock said people whose jobs has not already been shut down by the government measures to date should continue to work but should only be travelling to a workplace "where that work can't be done at home".
He said construction workers - many of whom work outdoors - could and should continue to go to work as long as they are able to remain two metres apart at all times.

What do you all think of this latest statement from the Home Secretary ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I still have my Bandsaw Mill and a few folk wanting stuff milled so could make a wee bit of cash if I had to. Im really hoping that this lock-down period works, people respect it and we can all get back to it again asap. I guess I'll get more info the morn to see if Im getting furloughed. If the Platforms here start running a skeleton crew Im buggered till thats lifted.

Still have my Charger though, could flog that if needed, but we'll see how things pan out. 

Brash dragging sounds fun . :D Id not turn my nose up at any work if it came to it. So appreciate the offer. :) 

Yeh, stunning woman here. Could not marry one though, pain in the bloody arse. :D 

Andy as you know I was at a large engineering works today and to put it mildly no fucks were being given mate. People sitting in canteen shoulder to shoulder no social distancing at all. Total joke. Told a couple of guys whom I had to interact with on occasion to step away from me. Not sure what it’s gonna take but people are still not taking this seriously. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, patrickosborne said:

Asked about the issue at the briefing, Mr Hancock said people whose jobs has not already been shut down by the government measures to date should continue to work but should only be travelling to a workplace "where that work can't be done at home".
He said construction workers - many of whom work outdoors - could and should continue to go to work as long as they are able to remain two metres apart at all times.

What do you all think of this latest statement from the Home Secretary ?

Watched the news tonight and they interviewed a site manager on a big site, he said all workers were staying 2 metres apart. Sadly in the background 3 separate groups of 2 workers all standing right next to each other. This and the sort of scenes we saw today on the tube and other sites just will lead to a full lockdown. 

I don't mind guys trying to earn a crust but FFS is it so difficult to distance?

I did my final delivery this morning, dropped logs on drive and payment by internet, no contact with customer, saw two people on bridle way through our wood and said good morning from 30 yards!

Local security group (Blueline) saying they're noticing increased activity by the caravan dwellers eyeing up vehicles and buildings, doubtless they will take advantage if people aren't around so much.

That's us done now don't need to work luckily so just getting on with jobs at home, fortunately Travis Perkins dropped materials for extension last week - always pays to offer the driver a cup of tea!

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Yup, just checked a few minutes ago.  The 2 Beech trees I have to take down tomorrow 'absolutely' cannot be done from home and I am ABSOLUTELY looking forward to a day in the harness to get away from all this hassle.

Screenshot 2020-03-24 at 19.28.31.png

Go for it. Another lovely day for it tomorrow. Get as much done before the guidelines change again! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gardenscape said:

Go for it. Another lovely day for it tomorrow. Get as much done before the guidelines change again! 

And I fear they will, which will ruin it for those who can scrape a living at this time without putting others at risk.

Although part of me thinks, do they want a full lock down? Is a steady but manageable stream of infections better for the sake of immunity. I still think that if everyone is in full lock down then the infections will be much lower, but only until we are given a false sense of security and released again an which point, bham its back to square one again. I’ve always thought the virus needs to do its thing but hopefully at a rate the health services can cope 

I am taking this virus seriously, my wife is asthmatic and from the news, this virus sounds horrific.

Excel London being made in to a 4000 bed hospital and hospitals in London seeing more and more outbreaks.

Spain's outbreak is looking worse than Italy's and the death rate in Italy went up today after two days of decline.

More worrying is that people of around 40 are in intensive care, on respirators and in a bad way.

If this gets bad, and it will do due to many treating it as a bit of a laugh or extra holiday, the hospitals will run out of respirators and I don't want to be on the end of that queue!

We are now keeping ourselves to ourselves, no visitors, only go out walking in the local countryside where we are unlikely to see anyone and shopping will be done online if possible or will take precautions in visiting smaller local outlets. The lawn is looking manicured...first time in years!

We need to get serious, stop being selfish and isolate ourselves to let this thing be manageable for our health experts otherwise there is a good possibility some of us or our family may die from this Chinese virus.

• Like 11

Work sent all bar two of us home today as 9 greenhouses need watered, but will only be in theory 1 in at a time.   in reality they spend so much time together its just a extra family member - not ideal.

am fortunate can lock gates and do maintence on landy and not come in contact with another person, so pretty safe to do work outdoors and since first job is fire up steam cleaner and do landy its safe to say clean at 95 celcious.

so apart from odd shop visit dont need to get within many metres of people for next 3 weeks.

be safe all

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Billhook said:

Just had a whatsapp from a Chinese friend of mine,  she was brought up in Shandong, left for Uk in 1990s and still has many

friends and family in China.  She says that the Chinese government lie about everything and that the true death toll is over eight million in China

Thinking about this a little more and also referring to another link somebody posted, I cannot see how it is possible that one and a half billion people, living in close proximity with not enough health care, could have less fatalities than Italy

WWW.NATIONALREVIEW.COM

And the irreparable damage they have caused around the globe.

7 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I’ve always thought the virus needs to do its thing but hopefully at a rate the health services can cope 

And therein lies the problem.

Beneath all of this the real truth is probably close due to successive governments across the world cutting funding.

the CDC lost massive funding not many years ago, and in the UK continual different governments have reduced funding in an an atmosphere of ' it's not really needed, it's unnecessary to maintain staff numbers, equipment, medication, supplies, what have you just in case. 

Well guess what? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

And therein lies the problem.

Beneath all of this the real truth is probably close due to successive governments across the world cutting funding.

the CDC lost massive funding not many years ago, and in the UK continual different governments have reduced funding in an an atmosphere of ' it's not really needed, it's unnecessary to maintain staff numbers, equipment, medication, supplies, what have you just in case. 

Well guess what? 

Surely the biggest problem is China's complete lack of respect for life? There's a reason all these viruses keep originating from there. 

How much would you like your own personal tax increased to to have medication, supplies, extra docs and nurses on stand-by to cope with the next shit-storm to come outta there? 

• Like 1