Lock Down?

5 shires

20 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

There's a couple of points I've been dwelling on, yes it will persist and most will catch it, current effort seems to be to drive the reproducibility below 2, i.e. currently each infected person is infecting two others, such that the number infected is doubling every 3 days. Japan is down to doubling every 20 days.

The other thing is that the young doctor who tried to publicise the outbreak in china himself died which worries me. Could it be that our immune system can cope with a small initial infection but constant exposure becomes lethal?

So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope time heals for you

This is quite a good graphic to give some sense to how social distancing helps massively over longer periods.

I would imagine the Chinese doctor who lost his life had probably been working himself into the ground which would suppress the immune system? 

89937784_3195249853840009_8439890768507699200_n.jpg

• Like 7

On 21/03/2020 at 00:09, trigger_andy said:

I think he's relating to his own empirical evidence, where as you are spouting gibberish you cant back up. 

Anyway, yes it is worrying when you have young kids. I also have two wee ones 9 months and 2 years, plus two older ones, 18 and 16. So we're kinda in the same boat. My Wife was crying when I left for work today, as I'll be away 4 weeks minimum and things can go down hill very quickly in that kind of time frame.  Im not overly worried though, if kids do catch it they do seem to pull through fairly well. If any have died, and Im sure there will be the odd case, they will either be from a 3rd world hell hole and/or have other serious and most likely respiratory issues. 

My 16 year old volunteers on a ward of old folk. How they are still letting her do this after going to school I dont know? She chats with the old uns and brings them tea and biscuits. How this is allowed to continue I dont know, as its the older people who are to frail to fight it that are dying. 

I think you're being a little too complacent. All this kids arent really affected bs is not doing anyone any favours.

Anyway, lets hope we can all bitch back and forth for the next few months or so to try and stop us all going stair crazy.

I must say though fuck to 4 weeks of being separated from the family, there is no way I would do that at in these times! Why on earth are you agreeing to do that?

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope time heals for you

This is quite a good graphic to give some sense to how social distancing helps massively over longer periods.

I would imagine the Chinese doctor who lost his life had probably been working himself into the ground which would suppress the immune system? 

89937784_3195249853840009_8439890768507699200_n.jpg

I get the social distancing thing, and it's definitely the right thing to do at the moment.

But how sustainable long term is it?? As this will be going on for months and months, folks mental health will start to be affected plus country will be bankrupt along with many other countries.

I don't know many true facts about it but 1 is the vast majority 80%+ will catch it and for the vast majority it will be just minor symptoms.

There was a proper real expert on radio 2 the other day saying we need an exit strategy to come out off lock down.

So if we on purpose infected large numbers in a controlled environment ( butlins, centre PARC's or rural hotels) u could essentially lead a holiday lifestyle with a couple of shitty days, have access to a nurse if needed.

But just with lock down ur not spreading it as everyone wil be infected but atleast u know ur infected.

So when lock down comes to an end a far higher % will have some immunity to it.

With Foot and Mouth they designated clean and 'dirty' staff, obviously dirty if been on infected farms.

With the above idea ud effectively have dirty areas and could have a 'dirty' nurse ( that would make me want to catch it alone, twice and I have asthma :001_smile:) and anyone needing extra care could be taken to a 'dirty' hospital or even set up small areas for monitoring the worse affected

• Like 2

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

The other thing is that the young doctor who tried to publicise the outbreak in china himself died which worries me. Could it be that our immune system can cope with a small initial infection but constant exposure becomes lethal?

Tinfoil hat time but I think its slightly more nefarious that that. 

6 hours ago, Mesterh said:

I think you're being a little too complacent.

My family, ie my brothers and sisters think the same.  We shall see. 

All this kids arent really affected bs is not doing anyone any favours.

Im still waiting on you providing proof to the contrary. :D 

Anyway, lets hope we can all bitch back and forth for the next few months or so to try and stop us all going stair crazy.

For sure. :D 

I must say though fuck to 4 weeks of being separated from the family, there is no way I would do that at in these times! Why on earth are you agreeing to do that?

Ive not had to be away from my family for that length of time for many years now. The longest trips I do these days are three weeks. But then I have 5 weeks at home with them. Swings and round-abouts, but it can be hard. Easier these days with skype, messenger video etc. Ive been home since mid December due to back surgery, initially waiting to get the surgery then the recovery process then this bloody virus and the uncertainty of getting the over-sea's guys over.  

As mentioned we now have our own hotel for us to be quarantined in for 14 days then I'll do 15 days off-shore, then more than likely I'll wait out my 'reset' time and go out on another job. As if I went home again Id have to wait another 14 days in quarantine.  Potentially I could be stuck over here if the boarders are closed. I also have to consider my job as this virus has caused my employer to issue furlough letters, I doubt Id get put on furlough but you never know. I can see me doing 8 weeks here, we'll see.

Obviously the health of my family trumps all the above. So Ive looked at the evidence and there is no indication what-so-ever this virus will affect children to any percentile under the ages of 9. All the evidence suggests they will get a cough and feel unwell for a bit. My wife and I are healthy as are our parents. I just dont see it being an issue for us. I Simpy don't buy intro the media driven hysteria. Yes, we have to protect the golden oldies, I get that. But where any of them to get it, or suspect they have it my company will use any and all flights to get me home, that is of course if they are still operating. 

So I'll got to work and see how it pans out. And hopefully make a killing in the process (no pun intended) :D 

• Like 2