Lock Down?

5 shires

32 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

With water?

We had a bottle a while back (might still be at the back of the cupboard?). Found it way too intense, peaty & smoky, not on the fav’s list. 

No, just neat. I never have water or ice or anything else with my whisky.

If you want to rehome your bottle and you're passing Cullompton, I'll happily help! ?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Big J said:

If you want to rehome your bottle and you're passing Cullompton, I'll happily help! ?

I’m no ice no water also but I believe this is not the best practice since the slight dilution  better enables the palate to explore a broader spectrum.

Meh, experts...  They’re alright so long as they know the limits of our tolerance to their superior knowledge ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Big J said:

Since having a rather horrendous experience with whisky as a Boy soldier being Coerced into carrying out waiting on duties for the seargeants mess summer ball at the guards depot in pirbright many years ago that culminated in me waking up in the glass house with zero recollection of anything and then spending the next 6 hrs being rifted around the depot by some pissed off regimental policeman with a floor bumper above my head just the smell of it makes me wretch??

• Haha 2

One of my lads stopped off at the corner shop yesterday and they had an 89p Tesco bog rolls marked up at £12, they never even bothered covering up the 89p. Anyway top tip, force the kids to use both sides, that’ll make the little blighters wash their hands.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Since having a rather horrendous experience with whisky as a Boy soldier being Coerced into carrying out waiting on duties for the seargeants mess summer ball at the guards depot in pirbright many years ago that culminated in me waking up in the glass house with zero recollection of anything and then spending the next 6 hrs being rifted around the depot by some pissed off regimental policeman with a floor bumper above my head just the smell of it makes me wretch??

I’ve had a very similar experience with copious amounts of cheap whiskey minus the military connection. It is one of the things I do regret. I would like to get my nose into some decent single malts but I wretch at the thought of it.

Fortunately I found Brandy a good substitute, got a very good bottle of Hinde in the go at the minute, after a long, cold, wet day in the woods its warming qualities are like Opium in a glass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnsond said:

You just have to work through it! 

When I was 17, we had a New Years eve party at my house. I drank half a dozen cans of something awful like Carling, and we got gatecrashed by friends from the other end of the village, so we decided to return the favour. I was drunk-ish, but still responsible enough to lock the door and felt OK. During the 15 minute walk, I somehow drank half a bottle of some awful cheap American whiskey, and the last thing I remember was running down the lane past the church with my trousers round my ankles, falling over in the snow, face first.

Apparently, I somehow made it to my friends house, chundered on the stairs and was promptly evicted, being put outside on the step in the snow. At some point someone called my mum, who was so worried about me that she stayed in my room next to me all night and I couldn't keep water down until 19:00 the next day. I found out that pineapple juice tastes just as nice on the way back up as it does on the way down. Orange juice, not so much.

So the moral of the story is that everyone has a "I don't like whisk(e)y because...." origin story. It's how you wean yourself back onto it that is the real measure of a man (or woman!). 

For me it was Jura. That's your gateway whisky. Stick to the west coast malts and you'll not go wrong :D

5 minutes ago, Big J said:

You just have to work through it! 

When I was 17, we had a New Years eve party at my house. I drank half a dozen cans of something awful like Carling, and we got gatecrashed by friends from the other end of the village, so we decided to return the favour. I was drunk-ish, but still responsible enough to lock the door and felt OK. During the 15 minute walk, I somehow drank half a bottle of some awful cheap American whiskey, and the last thing I remember was running down the lane past the church with my trousers round my ankles, falling over in the snow, face first.

Apparently, I somehow made it to my friends house, chundered on the stairs and was promptly evicted, being put outside on the step in the snow. At some point someone called my mum, who was so worried about me that she stayed in my room next to me all night and I couldn't keep water down until 19:00 the next day. I found out that pineapple juice tastes just as nice on the way back up as it does on the way down. Orange juice, not so much.

So the moral of the story is that everyone has a "I don't like whisk(e)y because...." origin story. It's how you wean yourself back onto it that is the real measure of a man (or woman!). 

For me it was Jura. That's your gateway whisky. Stick to the west coast malts and you'll not go wrong :D

No thanks J 

Cup of tea does me fine bud ??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1