Lock Down?

5 shires

3 minutes ago, Big J said:

I'd say the Ardbeg Corryvrecken is even better, but I don't come across it too often. I'm just on poverty spec Laphoaig Quarter Cask at the moment. It's a noteable omission on an otherwise well considered bulk buying list.

My Brother bought me a Laphoaig Brodir, very nice. He brought up a bottle of Perpetuum last time they came for a visit. 

I'll have to keep an eye out for a bottle of Corryvrecken then. :) 

An 18 year old Highland Park is high on my list. Like a slightly smokey Christmas Pudding in a glass. Perfect in front of the Stove. :D 

3 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

My Brother bought me a Laphoaig Brodir, very nice. He brought up a bottle of Perpetuum last time they came for a visit. 

I'll have to keep an eye out for a bottle of Corryvrecken then. :) 

An 18 year old Highland Park is high on my list. Like a slightly smokey Christmas Pudding in a glass. Perfect in front of the Stove. :D 

I find Highland Park to be too sweet for me. With the odd exception, I'm really just an Islay man. I've stepped up to cask strength now, and unfortunately that's somewhat ruined more delicate bottles for me now. I can say (somewhat proudly) that my wife appreciates a good dram too, and will happily enjoy cask strength Islay drams neat too :D

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Silverhooker said:

I’m a consultant in my local hospital an the only deaths we have had are in elderly people with significant other major medical problems. 

A technical question for you. As an asthmatic I'm a bit worried about getting it. In the past (as a kid) when my asthma was really bad they would put me on prednisolone - it was always a complete return to normal breathing and a few days feeling like superman. Now I know steroids are no good long term because of Cushings etc, but it occurred to me that the killing action of this virus is in part due to the cytokine storm as the immune system fires up and resultant inflammation of the airways, oxygen starvation, heart failure and gone. Now what do you think the result would be of putting a C 19 patient on say 50mg prednisolone and perhaps Omeprazole to protect the gut from the steroids? I know its a complex issue as steroids have an immunosupressive action, but surely that manifests only after prolonged use? Do you think high dose pred or other steroids could keep infected peoples airways open so they don't need to go on a ventilator?

Edited by tree-fancier123

15 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Its a 15 year old Bowmore. :D But hats off to you, thats a lovely drop! 

Im trying to read my new Timber Frame Construction book and getting no where. :D Im also trying to figure out where I'll be hiding all the new tools I'll need from the wife. :D Next on the list is a Timber Framing Slick. Mmmmmmmmm.

Managed to persuade the 4 older  kids to chip in at Xmas Andy and get me the Robert Sorby 21/2 inch slick ?lovely tool for sure so far unused. With hindsight I’d have been far better off with some good strong morticing chisels to clean out bottom of holes done by the chain morticer. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Down to 20! Any advance on 20? You cant find a single link to back up your nonsense? :D  Maybe you should follow the Docs advice and stop scaremongering? 

Your right, the Doc who hasnt seen anyone under the age of 54 die from covid19 is on the money.

Hopefully children don't die from it as I have  a 3 and 8 year old. The teenagers to middle aged already think they are immune and are causing issues.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Johnsond said:

Managed to persuade the 4 older  kids to chip in at Xmas Andy and get me the Robert Sorby 21/2 inch slick ?lovely tool for sure so far unused. With hindsight I’d have been far better off with some good strong morticing chisels to clean out bottom of holes done by the chain morticer. 

Its the Robert Sorby 3 3/8" Slick I have in my basket right now. :D If they took paypal Id have it ordered already. 

Got a Swan Neck Mortise Chisel on the way (ebay) A Corner Chisel (too small) and a 1/2" Mortise Chisel arrived today, so I was able to squirrel them away before the missus found the parcel. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TIMON said:

Agreed.Mark, but I think anyone would feel and look a bit out of their depth right now.
Being responsible for the lives of scores of millions of people, trying to get them not to die can’t be an easy burden. Probably a good cure for a mild case of megalomania.
Time to stick together and help each other..

It will be interesting to (hopefully) see where things are this time next year.

Shalom! (Live long and prosper)

How do you quantity the ability to deal with this situation. Only time or history will judge this I guess., totally agree with the sticking together comment. There is some serious activity going on in the background by a lot of different people from many areas of expertise in an effort to make sure the eqpt that’s needed by the nhs is available.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mesterh said:

Your right, the Doc who hasnt seen anyone under the age of 54 die from covid19 is on the money.

Hopefully children don't die from it as I have  a 3 and 8 year old. The teenagers to middle aged already think they are immune and are causing issues.

I think he's relating to his own empirical evidence, where as you are spouting gibberish you cant back up. 

Anyway, yes it is worrying when you have young kids. I also have two wee ones 9 months and 2 years, plus two older ones, 18 and 16. So we're kinda in the same boat. My Wife was crying when I left for work today, as I'll be away 4 weeks minimum and things can go down hill very quickly in that kind of time frame.  Im not overly worried though, if kids do catch it they do seem to pull through fairly well. If any have died, and Im sure there will be the odd case, they will either be from a 3rd world hell hole and/or have other serious and most likely respiratory issues. 

My 16 year old volunteers on a ward of old folk. How they are still letting her do this after going to school I dont know? She chats with the old uns and brings them tea and biscuits. How this is allowed to continue I dont know, as its the older people who are to frail to fight it that are dying. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Its the Robert Sorby 3 3/8" Slick I have in my basket right now. :D If they took paypal Id have it ordered already. 

Got a Swan Neck Mortise Chisel on the way (ebay) A Corner Chisel (too small) and a 1/2" Mortise Chisel arrived today, so I was able to squirrel them away before the missus found the parcel. :D 

Nice ? 

well done as women tend not to miss much. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mesterh said:

And you are taking medical advice from some bloke on the internet.

Do you want to buy a tiger stone?

have to say, this one I'm a bit suspicious, he doesn't come across like the ones I've encountered (obviously only a small sample). Comorbidity isn't usually writen with a space (co morbidity). Interested to see if he will answer my question to him, together with a detailed scientific walkthrough of his thinking

Edited by tree-fancier123