Small battery saw required. Best bang for my buck??

swinny

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

Wouldn’t rule out the possibility of eventually buying other battery tools. You should look at the entire range of whatever brand you are leaning towards 

Maybe the best thing for the OP would be see if any of the local dealers will do a saw and batteries on a demo?

2 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

The 3/4 impact wrench is my favourite tool tbh - I had a wheelnut nearly defeat it the other day though (standard socket so not delivering its full potential).
I allowed the nut a couple of seconds to consider its options as I checked the charge in the battery (which was low) and sure enough, the nut decided that coming undone at the next attempt was its least-worst option.

So the impact wrench has maintained its clean sheet to date!

I had a funny one the other day with mine- wheel nut on a dump trailer,mechanic on the farm had a go with his top of the line Milwaukee 3/4” with full batteries (which is supposedly more torque too) it didn’t touch it, I quietly went off to get my Makita not expecting it to be any better- but it hardly even hesistated. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Makita also sold as Dolmar in France.

Wife wants one for a chipper saw.

Ideal for that, it was so tempting to use a top handle one for that job. If I were going for a new saw a conventional handle one like this would be ideal for home logging, quiet and when the battery runs down I could have a rest rather than fill up and start again.

A battery powered makita would be perfect for me, I have so many batteries already ?

A battery powered saw of any kind seems perfect for by the chipper to me, you often spend longer starting the  saw than you actually do cutting so it seems a no brainer really...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, william127 said:

A battery powered makita would be perfect for me, I have so many batteries already ?

A battery powered saw of any kind seems perfect for by the chipper to me, you often spend longer starting the  saw than you actually do cutting so it seems a no brainer really...

Yes this is exactly it, and if you do landscaping/decking/fencing or whatever it also excellent for the same reasons- just need the odd cut here and there, no need to faff around with fuel and starting 

• Like 2

The new Ego 18" chainsaw arrived today. Very nice indeed for a battery chainsaw and good balance as well. 

I will also probably pursue getting the 14" makita as a back up for smaller jobs. I think have as many saws as you can get and if you can throw in some battery ones for ease of starting and use on the ground then all the better. 

To start milling though I am going to need to get myself a monster by the looks of it.