How Often Do You Clean Your Glass / What With??

Sunday night I didn't close the vent quite so much and there's not a mark on so that obviously does have a major impact .... I wonder how much difference it makes to the amount of wood you get through.

Just in reply to a couple of the other comments ... I use white vinegar mixed 50/50 with distilled water for laptop screens / monitors and works well and undiluted for loads of other things like cleaning taps and shower heads ... it's useful stuff!

I would have thought WD40 is flammable??? .. Reason I ask about this as well the stove we got the handles meant to be removable but it's way too sticky and if you're not holding onto it (which you can't do when it's hot) the force would move the stove across the hearth and had thought about giving it a squirt.

1 minute ago, Rob D said:

Dip damp cloth into the ash and use this to clean the glass [may have already been said ?]

I would worry that as ash contains silica it would be a bit abrasive and might dull the glass.

I agree with most that just an occasional wipe with a damp cloth gets the build up of white fly ash off.

If something has gone wrong and there is a tarry build up it will normally burn off in the next hot fire but something caustic , like oven cleaner, will shift it.

You can make a solution of potash (less caustic than oven cleaner which tends to be sodium hydroxide) by passing water  over wood ash in  a coffee filter

3 hours ago, Witterings said:

Sunday night I didn't close the vent quite so much and there's not a mark on so that obviously does have a major impact .... I wonder how much difference it makes to the amount of wood you get through.

Sounds like you are not giving it enough air.  Too little air and you don't burn everything so as well as soot you yet tars in the chimney, which is why it is not recommended to run them shut down too much.  You need to add enough air to get a complete burn, but that is the tricky bit as it will vary depending on the burn rate (or more accurately the rate at which gas is being generated from the wood) so it is very much a learnt thing for your stove with your wood.

I have a Burley Brampton stove, and run it hot with good dry wood. I still get a build up of stuff on the glass, much worse than my other (Heta) stove which stays lovely and clear. A wipe of the Burley with damp newspaper will clean off most of the residue, but there also appears to be gradual hazing / milking of the glass, which doesn't wipe off. (This is expected, according to Burley, as it's ceramic glass or something).

Anyone else find this? Can the glass eventually be replaced with non-ceramic glass that will stay clear? Not a major pain to clean it every so often, but I'd prefer not to have to, and also am a little wary that the hazing will eventually get so bad I can't see the fire...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sandspider said:

I have a Burley Brampton stove, and run it hot with good dry wood. I still get a build up of stuff on the glass, much worse than my other (Heta) stove which stays lovely and clear. A wipe of the Burley with damp newspaper will clean off most of the residue, but there also appears to be gradual hazing / milking of the glass, which doesn't wipe off. (This is expected, according to Burley, as it's ceramic glass or something).

Anyone else find this? Can the glass eventually be replaced with non-ceramic glass that will stay clear? Not a major pain to clean it every so often, but I'd prefer not to have to, and also am a little wary that the hazing will eventually get so bad I can't see the fire...

I get that on my Burley . I think it is peculiar to the Burley stoves . I have changed the inner glass ( they are double glazed ) once in about 8 years . It goes sort of opaic (spelling ) but when its a light I don't really notice it .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I get that on my Burley . I think it is peculiar to the Burley stoves . I have changed the inner glass ( they are double glazed ) once in about 8 years . It goes sort of opaic (spelling ) but when its a light I don't really notice it .

I've been told that the Burleys have such a high firebox temp (along with a number of other stoves) that the surface of the inner glass panel starts to soften. The tertiary air jets which help create the Burley 'fireball' stir up some fly-ash which then sticks to the glass surface. Once the temp drops in the stove, the glass re-solidifies, trapping some of the fly-ash in the glass and causes this 'hazing'. Some people have blocked up the jets which are pointed towards the glass and this seems to have helped the problem.

Incidentally,  I've modified our Clearview Vision 500 by fitting an adjustable tertiary air feed at the rear of the stove. On 'full throttle' this feed had the effect of making the firebox like a blast furnace, which like the Burleys, hazed up the glass. By backing off the tertiary I now get a much cleaner burn and no hazing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woodrascal said:

I've been told that the Burleys have such a high firebox temp (along with a number of other stoves) that the surface of the inner glass panel starts to soften. The tertiary air jets which help create the Burley 'fireball' stir up some fly-ash which then sticks to the glass surface. Once the temp drops in the stove, the glass re-solidifies, trapping some of the fly-ash in the glass and causes this 'hazing'. Some people have blocked up the jets which are pointed towards the glass and this seems to have helped the problem.

Incidentally,  I've modified our Clearview Vision 500 by fitting an adjustable tertiary air feed at the rear of the stove. On 'full throttle' this feed had the effect of making the firebox like a blast furnace, which like the Burleys, hazed up the glass. By backing off the tertiary I now get a much cleaner burn and no hazing.

I have heard exactly the same Re the fly ash .