Advice needed...

Question!

got 2 companies felling trees for land owners for free to get biomass chip! Doesn’t seem right to me... (RHI) there’s cost for everything! Been approached by the land owner to manage a 50 acre block of land but how do I compete if it’s done for free... I know there’s value in the timber for firewood and brash for chip but it’s a job to calculate Wots it’s all worth until u get stuck into it... it’s all mainly ash which has die back, 2 small woods and 6 internal hedges where big trees are overgrown! Doing it with my friend so between us have the kit! Digger, forestry trailer, winch and big chipper. I do the firewood and he does the chipping! 
so the key question is Wots the best way to go about it to get the nod over competition 

cheers 

21 minutes ago, jamesmerriman7 said:

Question!

got 2 companies felling trees for land owners for free to get biomass chip! Doesn’t seem right to me... (RHI) there’s cost for everything! Been approached by the land owner to manage a 50 acre block of land but how do I compete if it’s done for free... I know there’s value in the timber for firewood and brash for chip but it’s a job to calculate Wots it’s all worth until u get stuck into it... it’s all mainly ash which has die back, 2 small woods and 6 internal hedges where big trees are overgrown! Doing it with my friend so between us have the kit! Digger, forestry trailer, winch and big chipper. I do the firewood and he does the chipping! 
so the key question is Wots the best way to go about it to get the nod over competition 

cheers 

If they are doing it for free you are going to have to pay is it worth it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm assuming it's just felling odd trees? For clearfelling or thinning you would pay them a standing price and sell the wood.

There's a company near us who take down overgrown hedges for free and have the chip. The other way to do it if you don't think it's worth it is to put in a quote for clearance and felling and let them keep the wood to sell.

What is the justification for felling the timber? If it's 50 acres and 500t, it's not plantation softwood. If it's broadleaf, it's likely to be older, larger trees, in which case they aren't ideal for biomass and there is a moral question to be raised in clearing them. 

Forestry work entails buying standing timber and selling it at roadside to make your money usually. If you're not equipped to do the job, it's probably best to get in touch with a forestry company to help.

• Like 2

I heard a great saying the other day, old wood cutter was asked to take down a few big spruce trees for a wealthy home owner who said he could keep all the timber if he did the job for nothing. His reply was brilliant! That is like saying to a dog Walker you can keep the dog shit if you walk my dog for free ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1