Makita EA4300 / dolly 421/420sc

Stere

K041 and K095 mounts have been an issue in small saws for some time now. Just do a search for them and you'll notice folks wondering what is going on. It stems from Oregon first releasing the K041 mount for stud oiling saws, then making it available for side oilers, but keeping the same mount name. The odd part is they did this to prevent confusion. I haven't tested many newer K041 mounts, so can't say if they are all side and stud oilers now, but it seems likely. Basically, the K041 mount was meant for saws 40cc and smaller, whereas the K095 mount is meant for all small Husky's including 50cc saws and even some 65cc saws from days of yore(like the small mount 362).

The K041 'Pro Am' bar Stere is using has the side oiler inlet. It better have - the 420 he has is a side oiler as evidenced by Andrew's images posted previously here. The main difference in practice between the K041 and the K095 mount is the adjuster hole can be slightly more widely spaced on a K095 mount. For some saws, this can be an issue of it not fitting the adjuster(but it is an easy fix using even just a chain file to widen the adjuster hole). On other saws, the fit is fine. The 420 has a rather thin bar adjuster, which I suspect was their own way of getting around the 41/95 issue, and also saving production costs as it appears to simply be a bent piece of metal vs machined. Some SugiHara bars actually have wider spacing in their adjusters in their BC and BL mounts to make them more of a universal fit between K041 and K095 saws. Remember, the BC and BL series are not SugiHara's exact copy of 95 or 41 mounts, it is their own unique system meant to work well on multiple saws.

Here's an example of Sugi hedging their bets with wider adjuster spacing. Note the adjuster holes are oval and not round. The reason you do not see this in every bar is it costs more to make oval holes than simple punching a round one, or requires plasma or hydro cutting fixtures. Pictured below is a BC2M-0N35-A, as I unfortunately do not have one of a 37(37cm vs 35cm there - the OH designation on Stere's example is for the 'quick cut'/narrow kerf chain):

PRO-LAM-BC2M-0N35-A-14in-LO-PRO-3-8in-05

If you are willing to make some 'adjustments' yourself, most side oiling small mount bars can be made to fit most other mounts:

159039560.Vtd7Fl6Z.jpg

Edited by wyk
I can spam better than I can spell
  • Like 1

Thanks for the detailed reply. Bit annoying there being so many bar mount standards.

So with  sugi it could modded with a round file extending the holes.

I have an oregon  "pro am" bar and  a newer "advanced cut"  both have same code  part code 150MLBK041

So that explains the ps420sc tensioner as the ps5105 below one wouldn't align with the k041 holes.

347252-5 - TENSION SLIDE - EA4300 - Makita Original Part

5105_015_large.JPG?v=1571438007

I have a couple of bars in the shed, as well as a 241 and a 420. I'll see if I can hash it out tomorrow.

ETA - what you may want to do is check out how much play in the adjuster there is on your K041 mount.

If it is a lot of leeway, it's likely the BC2M will fit no problem.

Edited by wyk