Workable alternative to U.K. two climbing systems

Jard

5 minutes ago, jfc said:
On 08/03/2020 at 17:04, Mick Dempsey said:
Top handles are dangerous in that you can use them one handed.

If they were banned there would be less left forearm injuries and less people cutting their necks and shoulders, through kickback during one handed use.

I don't want them banned, though it wouldn’t really affect me tbh, but there’s a clear logic to it happening.

Interesting point, but people would then use ground saws one handed. Which are even more unstable/risky.

I think I explained later in the thread, go and get a 550 and try and place it one handed in the wood in front of your face/chest and start a cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I think I explained later in the thread, go and get a 550 and try and place it one handed in the wood in front of your face/chest and start a cut.

....  I shave with one  ? Best a man can get !  K

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I have had words with my groundie for one handing a 550, above his head. Generally taking off branches from the ground, he is way stronger than me, but it gives me the fear seeing him do it.

Am problys leaning more to @EdwardC in this as have been sick of hearing crap climbers use the get out with 2Rope, however seen fab work done by some climbers breaking a few rules ( safely ) but don't expect it to reduce casualty statistics neither. I will climb with it , but my climbing is usually inspection only, so rush or real cutting.  K

2 hours ago, jfc said:

I have had words with my groundie for one handing a 550, above his head. Generally taking off branches from the ground, he is way stronger than me, but it gives me the fear seeing him do it.

One handing a 550 is actually safer because it leaves my other hand free to grip my ladder.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 12:04, scotspine1 said:

The proposed implemetation of two ropes by the HSE (and heavily pushed by the AA) ...

The proposed two rope implementation fiasco and it's accompanying hysteria will go down as a low point for the AA and the arboricultural industry in general. It showed the HSE have minimal understanding of our industry and that the AA was not willing to robustly defend our position. What made matters worse was that the AA attempted to delegitimise our safe work practices overnight. They deferred to the HSE with little resistance, behaving obsequiously to those in power. 

Respectfully, this is simply not correct.

The AA, or more specifically my colleague Simon Richmond (as project lead), the ICOP authors and others have worked tirelessly to represent and defend the industry current practice with the HSE, who, in turn,  have been very, very robust in defense of their position and approach...and "the battle" continues, albeit more of frank exchange these days.

I would hasten you to try to speak with Stuart Parry at HSE and ask him if the AA deferred to the HSE with little resistance, behaving obsequiously to those in power. 

With hindsight, it is unfortunate that we perpetuated the issue being titled "use of 2 ropes" which was initiated by HSE but which we now refer to a "climbing with a back-up" (which may include 2 ropes in some situations where appropriate.)

PLEASE await production of the revised draft Technical Guide 1 - Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue ('TG1') hopefully to be released for industry consultation by end of April.

Thanks for reading and stay safe out there.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did a job yesterday. Loads of straight up, straight down little birches and a couple of willow so almost all just on a pair of strops. I did use a single climbing line (mystery rope that someone gave me fifteen years ago btw) to transfer into a weak one and took it up the biggest willow to rig a branch off my harness bridge. Did a good bit of one handing a domestic battery backhandle. Only started a 250 at about 16:30. Took seven hours with breaks and finishing the groundwork that my groundsman didn't get to while he was smoking joints. Safe and productive day. Happy clients. They should be. The next cheapest quote was £3000. I did it for the wood.

No point really. Just thought it might annoy Edward.