Workable alternative to U.K. two climbing systems

Jard

7 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

And i didn't take into account the type 2 and 3 A&E departments, or the time the nurse isn't working. Perhaps there's some misunderstanding there, could it have been that she sees 10-15 serious lacerations per week (not Arb specific)? That sounds more realistic.

I can only go off what the nurse told the guy, your sis works in A&E and has never seen an Arb guy ever, is this accurate?

5 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

If the fall injury numbers drop they will be vindicated, if they don’t they will just come at the industry from a different angle, which may even be worse and less thought out than this one.

I agree with you.

Up to us all to make this happen then.. 

Let's stop this old school mentality of just get on with it and push for a lets think about this attitude.

41 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

I can only go off what the nurse told the guy, your sis works in A&E and has never seen an Arb guy ever, is this accurate?

I said never mentioned, not never seen. I can ask her next time we speak. Gardeners de-gloving their fingers in lawn mowers and hedge cutters on the other hand.....

Anyway, 2 ropes will make self rescue nigh on impossible in my opinion. 

Also (in my opinion) most accidents could probably be prevented if working to industry best practice - stopper knots, 2 hands on the saw, work positioning strop and life line when cutting. 

Those that ignore these guidelines, im pretty sure will ignore the 2 rope thing.

Enforcing current best practice would be a better start in reducing accidents rather than pushing out more "laws"

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

I said never mentioned, not never seen. I can ask her next time we speak.

Just think it’s odd that that she wouldn’t mention an Arb injury that she had seen to her brother who works in Arb but tells him about gardening injuries instead. 

8 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Enforcing current best practice would be a better start in reducing accidents rather than pushing out more "laws"

I agree but it this isn’t happening, and if fall injury numbers drop, two ropes will stay.

Two ropes..Too much. So many valid counter arguments on this site and a push against it that the HSE have seen sence and revised their approach.

Up to us all to show them that they are moving in the right direction.

Don't turn a blind eye to the fellas that exasperate the issue. 

That means  company owners, managers, formen to trainee staff ect..

Forcing the industry to use 2rope working to reduce falls from height is a bit like having to use a breeze block as a key ring to stop you losing your keys.

Yes, it will have the desired effect statistically and on paper.

But at what cost in terms of practicality, ergonomics, hindered movement, increased effort and added strain and stress. Etc...

• Like 4

Top handles are dangerous in that you can use them one handed.

If they were banned there would be less left forearm injuries and less people cutting their necks and shoulders, through kickback during one handed use.

I don't want them banned, though it wouldn’t really affect me tbh, but there’s a clear logic to it happening.
Interesting point, but people would then use ground saws one handed. Which are even more unstable/risky.
  • Like 1