Workable alternative to U.K. two climbing systems

Jard

17 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I think it’s an attempt to invalidate his points by saying he doesn’t know what he’s talking about because he’s not a currently working climber.

The points he makes relating to climbing carry almost no weight because he’s not climbed as a full time climber since 2004.

His thoughts on climbing now - in 2020 are just that - thoughts, formed in the abstract, attempting to draw on his climbing experience from 16 years ago where he undoubtedly climbed on a single line, yet now he pontificates in the merits of twin rope climbing. 

He attempted to lecture full time professional climbers and talk to them as if they were ignorant and unaware of critical aspects of the job they carry out on a daily basis. 

This is why people are justified in questioning his credibility. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Did he manage much cutting and holding with an 026?

Yes he did on occasion.  However, I didn’t work with him in his prime.  He was mid fifties when I was working with him.  

I work with an old Norwegian forester over here.  He dismantles with a 550xp with a 14” bar IIRC.  He does a fair bit of cut and hold or one handed cutting into the collar with the limb folding and then he holds, severs and throws.

6 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Well they can hardly go blaming the saw or the system then, can they?

If you have a saw where you can raise it up to throat height one handed and press the trigger to start a cut, then people are going to do it, I’ve done it, that young man who died in the tree whose dad started the thread a while back did it.

If you can’t because the weight distribution of the saw means it cannot be put into position because it’s a rear trigger saw, then you’ll use two hands, one behind the brake.

its not about blame, it’s about preventing avoidable deaths.

• Like 1

This isn't about top handles, its about 2 ropes. 

Major trauma in a tree, highly likely an arm is out of action = one hand available to tend your system, 1 hand = 1 system.

Perhaps its not an arm, large wound anywhere else?  1 hand needed to apply compression to a wound, = 1 hand available to tend 1 system, not 2.

Ascending, branch falls, dislocates a shoulder, 1 arm available to descend 

In the event of an accident in the tree, 1st option is climber getting himself down ASAP. a 2nd rope is locking you up there.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Is it not about educating them to not be cutting at neck height in the first place?  

Regardless of the placement of the handle of the size/cc or the saw.

Well you can do that, just as you can educate people not to drive too fast past schools

Putting traffic calming measures ensures compliance.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I think it’s an attempt to invalidate his points by saying he doesn’t know what he’s talking about because he’s not a currently working climber.

If his points are not of value to some that is their opinion. 

We can only make assumptions on a person and their online persona from their quotes unfortunately.

He may have been a stella climber back in his day. His posts may suggest otherwise unfortunately.

I expect that their are a number of people who can articulate a wonderful working ethos online hear but in reality...? That's the nature of the online world. 

Up to him to fight his corner if he wants too. 

He may just not give a shit about other opinions on his past and present. 

If we all let people get under our skin we would be forever in conflict. That can be just as bad not having an opinion.

• Haha 1