The end of 'red diesel'?

richy_B

Madness.. you go and ask a dairy farm that I’ve driven for to fuel there 6 tractors and harvester for winter feed with white instead of red. They use 1,000 litres a day easily. 

I think people would soon moan when a pint of milk and loaf of bread triples in price, the knock on effect would be massive to the food industry. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spuddog0507 said:

that will go through as you say then them who are entitled to the lower rate i.e farmers, commercial fishing, forestry etc will be allowed to claim the duty back, this will stop joe public running cars on red and one guy i know who breaks cars up used to run his recovery truck of the diesel he removed from the cars but not nowadays as he reckons over 50% are on red, a one colour fuel would be better but fuel theft will rise from farms for sure,

This makes sense. Same as VAT, a reclaim system.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Gardiners Tree Surgery said:

Madness.. you go and ask a dairy farm that I’ve driven for to fuel there 6 tractors and harvester for winter feed with white instead of red. They use 1,000 litres a day easily. 

I think people would soon moan when a pint of milk and loaf of bread triples in price, the knock on effect would be massive to the food industry. 

it wont affect agriculture horticultur, forestry commercial fishing they will be able to claim the duty back, and i think some buissnes,s will be able to apply for some sort of exemption licence like quarrys and civil engineering firms, the abuse has gone on for decades and as i said about the guy who breaks the cars its not long since he told me he had a writen off  BMW X5 in on a 69 plate that was full of red, this is why its coming to what it is because of things like this,

• Like 1

An exemption system would just be abused the other way. Farmers would be fuelling a fleet of diesel range rovers  and claiming they only used a tenner of road use a week in their diesel corsa. Plus the manpower needed to audit all this- it's like means testing for benefits, it would be cheaper to turn a blind eye.

Red is easy to prove- you get caught, throw the book at you. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Gardiners Tree Surgery said:

Same as when they haul Diggers to site  with their Tractors on Red, and undercut all the Plant lads and Hauliers, we feel it massively too thanks.

Eddie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

If they’re going to do it, then just do it!

No exemptions or tax back for anyone, level the field finally.

Eddie.

I reckon ag will still be exempt, as farmers are price takers and the government doesn't want to see the price of food rise. So the abuse will continue.

All they have to do is clarify and then enforce existing laws. Wouldn't take much, just a civil servant with knowledge of the industries involved ? and a flying pig.

• Haha 1